Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Excel 2003 documents open slow or do not open.

Re: Excel 2003 documents open slow or do not open.

The fix I posted relates to opening Excel files from a remote server and addresses issues with Office File Validation. I found removing the updates is fine, but they're re-installed by MS update if you don't catch them.

By applying the fixit registry fix listed at MS kb article 2570623 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2570623 and not removing these office security patches they won't be re-installed.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJimB View Post
    Here's the links that addrsss and resolve this issue with options from another string at this forum.

Slow Opening of Excel Files through a Network
    This was a nice easy fix and the users are extremely happy now!!! Thanks!

Thanks Steve. That took care of it for me as well.

KB2553072 installed auto via wsus (wsus installed in my enterprise network) 15 september 2011, same problem now, and uninstall resolve problem...
    bye

This fixed it for my users!!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2553065/[anySimpleType]

Thanks everyone for the inputs, but now I am hosed completely.

Excel still takes a 1 minute timeframe to open, my filename I have is "Medicine Chart" and I get can't open medicine.xls , beep, can't open chart.xls......

I now cannot change the "%1 to a "%1", or put my /e back in there, or (I haven't done anything the []checked box on DDE.....

Either post here or email is fine.

Urgent, after all the "can't find.... " statements and beeps, I single hit the icon on the desktop call Medicine Chart and the data pops into the blank xls file.

I am not networked out, I am on a PC running xp.

Guess I should have just left the 1 minute time frame there. And someone said an Excel update and I checked startup/settings/control panel/add-remove software... And I don't have anything labeled as that....

JerryB

First try this at the command prompt (you may have to include the full path to excel.exe or just navigate to it's install folder):

excel.exe /unregserver
    then
    excel.exe /regserver

This will reset the DDE stuff for XLS.

Before trying the DDE fix again, go into your Add/Remove Programs and look for an entry for "Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in" (it's not an update, it's on the regular list) and remove it, and see if that solves your problem. If not, look for the other updates mentioned here and remove them.

Failing all that, try the DDE fix again, but be careful and make sure you put the quotes around the %1.

Thanks for some 'suggestions", that/those did not correct anything.

Since I was getting the 'cant find ...." messages as well, I reinstalled win-off-2003. The excel file has the /e appendage and the "can't find .." messages have gone away, but it still takes about 30-60 seconds to open the file..

Next?

I also notice that since I can't fix the Excel SLOWNESS, after I open it (wait a min for it to load) sometimes the data doesn't appear so I have to double-click inside the data window.....

Also, when I close Excel completely, my other WinOff products (word, powerpoint) now act the same way in opening.

Any NEW suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    I also notice that since I can't fix the Excel SLOWNESS, after I open it (wait a min for it to load) sometimes the data doesn't appear so I have to double-click inside the data window.....

Also, when I close Excel completely, my other WinOff products (word, powerpoint) now act the same way in opening.
    Whats the computer specifications that you have? How much ram is installed in your machine? Which antivirus software is installed? Have you checked the usual suspects, chkdsk, defrag, advanced settings. etc; drivers, chipset whether it is taking more memory? Check in task manager if any process is taking more memory, close it and then open the excel files.

Computer Specs: XP just upgraded to 2G RAM, Norton Internet Security 2012,

Haven't ran chkdsk, but Geek Squad did.
    Have already defrag
    not sure of drivers, chipset but Processes have some running, but only about no more than(right now = 696 Mg, pagefile = flatline, CPU = 2%).

Have done the various recommendations "%1", "/e (as it appears after I re-install 2003)...

But like I also said, after opening the slow excel, everything else goes real slow too. CNTL-ALT-DEL = 5sec instead of instantly, word could take up to 30 sec instead of instantly.

Browser, have cleared cache etc, that can take some time, BUT!!!! if I reboot and DON't open an excel, things seem to go pretty good UNTIL I open excel.. :-(

Hope this helps, bout ready to take it back to geek squad since they "SAID" they fixed everything and all they did was run D&R and tell me my speakers were defective..

There are some of the virus scanners which can slow down the processing of the office and some of the times they install some plugins to the office. If you want 'to confirm that then disable the scanner from your computer and then after that open the documents. See if it again takes long time to open the document.

Chaaruchandra

Thanks for that thought, but it too didn't work. Just for chance, I turned off Norton Internet Security for 15min, and d/c on my shortcut. It still took about 60 seconds AND anything else I did during this time, (try to open my TASK MANAGER from the task bar) did not open UNTIL the excel (blank) application opened. then I still had to do a File/Open to bring in the data...

I think it has to do with some upgrade that Microsoft did around August, but I have checked for that one and it is not there. I have removed my Microsoft Validation File as well, still no good.

I have reinstalled Office 2003 about 5 times so I know it is not the master applications. Unless I reboot and DONT use excel, everything runs slower than normal.

This solution workd for me:
    Microsoft Excel 2010
    Click the File tab, and then click Options.
    Click Advanced, and then click to clear the Ignore other applications check box in the General area.
    Click OK.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23