Thread: Word 2007 MAPI failure: "Operation not supported:

Word 2007 MAPI failure: "Operation not supported:

We are using Office 2007 Enterprises edition in our office and our users use Outlook 2007. We recently installed this office and since then whenever we try to send any file from word as an attachment with outlook, it gives us an error message saying “Word couldn't send mail because of MAPI failure: Operation not supported”

I don’t have any idea how can we fix it. Thank you.

This is a bit odd. I use a news reader, get messages only from
    msnews.microsoft.com but I see House's post as a reply threaded directly below
    CasperX's question re "Word 2007 MAPI failure: "Operation not supported:" ...
    my newsreader (VA) sees it not as a disjointed post.

Any idea why the difference in what we're seeing?

I faced the same error with one of my users and I found two versions of Office (Outlook) installed on the user's PC (WinXP, SP2)

First of all, when I browsed the location "C:/Program files/common files/system/" I found two Mapi folders (which I figured would mean two versions of outlook existing at the same time). Renamed all the MSMAPI32.dll files. On restarting outlook, found that it was installing Outlook 2002 again. I cancelled this operation and Removed Outlook 2002 from Add remove programs.

Ran a MS office Diagnostics and also re-configured the mail profile. Tried sending the word document as a mail attachment again and it worked!!

I was searching for some sort of a solution to this problem and thought I'd post my new found solution in case it comes of some use!

Found this thread while looking for a solution to this problem one of our users was facing.

Figured I would share my solution just in case this is still a problem to others.

I found there were 2 instances of Office installed on this system - 2007 Basic and Small Business Server 2003 (Powerpoint ONLY). I uninstalled Office 2003 altogether and Repaired Office 2007 using the installation files. This and a reboot resolved the issue.

Re: Word 2007 MAPI failure: "Operation not supported:

When users are trying to send E-mail through Word e.g. "File > Send > E-mail"
    They receive the error: Word couldn't send mail MAPI failure: "operation not supported"
    This Also happens if the user right clicks a file within a folder "Send to > Mail Recipient"

I have read many forums on this but found no actual answer. A fix that works for me is to repair the Office installation, this does work. Unfortunately I work in an organisation that is huge and need to find out why this has happened as it worked before.

One thing that has changed recently is that we have Uninstalled "Windows Search". I was wondering if there is any relationship between Office and Windows search, i.e. uninstalling it has removed a Registry entry etc.

-I have tried Fixmapi.exe - Didnt work
    -Checked the registry entries in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem and they are fine.

If anyone knows what has changed ie Reg entry please let me know so I can apply to GP.

Any help would be great

Re: Word 2007 MAPI failure: "Operation not supported:

Regarding the problems with sending email from WORD, Excel, IE8, etc, only if Outlook is running - no problem if Outlook is not running: If anyone has both Exchange System Manager 2003, and Office 2007 on their client computer, I have the fix.

1) uninstall Exchange System Manager
    2) reinstall Exchange System Manager
    3) from a command prompt, type "fixmapi" and press "Enter". The fixmapi comand generates no output, and runs silently.

This will fix two problems - the "send page by email" and "send link by email" problem in Internet Explorer, and sending attachemt problem in Word/Excel.

BTW: I had to do this when installing Office 2007, then just found out that I had to do it AGAIN after upgrading to Office 2010.