Thread: Microsoft Word is not able to Save the documents

Microsoft Word is not able to Save the documents

I am not able to work with Microsoft Word. None of my documents are saving. Whenever I exist the word file it ask me to save it but from some time it is not at all asking the same. I had updated windows and performed a set of test but nothing is working. I am a bit annoyed with that. A number of my work is lost due to this. I had performed windows update, but in that also there is no solution received. It looks the save option is just somehow disabled.

Are you using a trail version of Microsoft Office. Because this kind of problem appears in the trail version when it is expired. You can upgrade that to maximum and then check back. Are you getting any error while using the same. Because if there is any error then there is a way to fix the same. You can try to re-install the entire thing back again and then check back. It must work well and give you appropriate settings.

I'm having the same problems with Word 2003, SP3 installed. Tried the suggestion above with no results. Any other ideas? I can't save a new document or edit an existing document and save or save as that document. Good ole uninstall and re-install did it for me. :)

I am also having the same kind of issue and it looks the problem mostly lies with some internal dll files that are missing or not well. You can simply run a repair setup and then check back the same. You can try to install everything from scratch and then check back the same. A number of time a corrupt template is also the cause of issue. You have to remove it so that word can regenerate the template once again and check out whether things are fine or not.

I have had this same problem a couple of times. It only afected my profile, not my wife's and kids', etc. and I resolved it by remembering that I had recently removed a hard disk ( Drive G: ) from my machine (same diff if you have changed the drive letter assigned to one of your partition I guess). As soon as I assigned the drive letter G of the removed disk to another partition, the problem went away. I can now save files again, convert and save as PDF using Acrobat's plug in, etc. Life is back to normal (excpet for the thousands of hairs I pulled of my head trying to figure this out... :-) ). I don't know what the heck word wants with that G: drive I removed because all my templates, etc. are in their normal directories (C:/...). I do rember setting the system to page out to that drive for performance reasons and also use that drive for temporary browser files (but not in word that I can remember). I don't see any files being created in the drive when I open word, but, with a G drive in the system Word works, with out it, it does not. Really really bizarro world kind of stuff...
    Anyway, something else you all can try to get over this problem.
    Hope it helps someone.
    APD

Well done BOB

I have been googling for solutions for a couple of weeks to fix not being able to save in Word 2003, and normal.dot and autorecovery errors. This for my laptop (I'll learn - Should never let anyone do any support - neither laptop or desktop have worked properly for a weeks since I succumbed to hiring someone to look at systems - both have different probs). The quality of your response has me registered here - very rare for me for forums - and I will look through the Threads to try to solve my desktop and any future issues.

Had to do all you suggested - Turn off Auto-recover, Searched and removed all docs with ~$*.*;*.tmp and then I could only save after restarting Word in SAFE MOde (Ctrl held down). System: XP Pro, Office Pro 2003 SP3.

If you can save in Safe mode it can be a conflicting add-in, a damaged Normal template, or a damaged registry key. Safe mode isn't
    something you want to run in all of the time :) This article may help you isolate the problem and eliminate it

re: Microsoft Word is not able to Save the documents

[QUOTE=Bob Buckland ?:-\);2745239]There are a couple of things that can cause this, including conflicting add-ins and some Word settings.

In Tools=>Options=>Save turn off the 'Autorecover' option then close Word. From Start=>Run search for all files using

~$*.*;*.tmp

and recycle them then restart Word to see if the error still occurs.
    If so, try holding the contrl key when starting Word and see if you can open/create then save a file.

I've eliminated all the "$" and "tmp" files but it still doesn't SAVE or SAVE AS. It will when started in safe mode though. The only add-in I have is for Adobe PDF

I tried deleting .tmp files, but this didn't work.
    I could run word with control key down, which put it in safe mode, and it did save then. But afterwards when I went back to normal mode for word, it continues to not save. this is either hitting save or save as button. Says disk is full. But it won't even come up with the small window that allows you to name the document, save where to and file type.

When Safe Mode "fixes" a problem, the underlying problem usually is:

1. Corrupted normal.dot.

2. Corrupted registry key (usually the Data key)

3. Misbehaving add-in.

Since Word saves okay in safe mode, then I would try renaming/deleting
    normal.dot and renaming/deleting the Data key. If those don't fix it, I
    would then begin to investigate add-ins.

Take a look here for additional information, including information on
    editing the registry:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

For Word 2002, the Data key should be here (I think... it's been a while
    since I had Office 2002, but counting backwards, I think that 2002 was
    version 10):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Word\Data

Word 2007 won't save / save as on Vista 64 bit

I'm having the same problem as described above with Word 2007 as part of an Office Ultimate 2007 install. I tried all the things below I think - I removed all the Adobe things (Flash / Acrobat reader), cleaned the registry manually, changed the autosave location, renamed normal.dot, completely uninstalled Office 2007 and then reinstalled Office 2007 from the DVD. All Office programs work fine - except Word 2007 won't do save / save as / or pop the save dialog up when the document has changes and I hit close.

As reported by others - this only impacts one user account on the system - other users can log in and use Word2007 fine. The failure to pop up the save/saveas dialog impacts only 1 user account on the OS. Word Safe Mode doesn't help - it still won't pop up a save/save as dialog.

I haven't changed anything I'm aware of - it worked fine for 6 months and then it stopped, I had created a document in the morning, and that evening I made more changes and couldn't save it, or create or change any docs any more. Ideas?

Maybe a hint for the tech gurus trying to help us - at least for me Word cannot open *any* file box. In the Word Options menu, any field listing a path/file where normally a button will open a file box, has the same silent response. No file box for you. Examples are Proofing > Custom Dictionaries > Browse.... and Advanced > File Locations > Modify... Also it cannot Open documents or Insert > Picture, as those require the box. I've double-checked and the product activation is confirmed, it's not running in reduced function mode.

I'm exactly the same as haluptzok, safe mode does not resolve it and none of the other advice so far. Office 2007 on Win 7-64 - worked normally until today, nothing has changed in the system to my knowledge, system restore no effect, reinstall no effect. Project due tomorrow of course - any thoughts what would make it not able to access the file system at all from any dialog?
    Last edited by truevision; 19-02-2010 at 08:09 AM.

I'm having the same issue with microsoft word 2007.
    when clicking save or save as you jsut get a sound that tells you its not going to go and the pop-up save sceen where you specify where you are going to save your new file to never appears.
    save and save as both do the same thing.
    Also if you exit out of word the pop up that asks you if you want to save the file since you've changed it never appears adn any work you did to the file is lost.
    If i restart the computer it will work but about 2-3 times a week this happens to me.
    Restart works fine, just randomy happens.
    I havnt taken any steps yet to fix it. what do yuo advise?

so, finally found a way around. all you have to do is create a new user and move ur contents to the new user account. and everything should work just fine
    hope this was useful!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Buckland ?:-\) View Post
    There are a couple of things that can cause this, including conflicting add-ins and some Word settings.

In Tools=>Options=>Save turn off the 'Autorecover' option then close Word. From Start=>Run search for all files using

~$*.*;*.tmp

and recycle them then restart Word to see if the error still occurs.
    If so, try holding the contrl key when starting Word and see if you can open/create then save a file.
    PLEASE HELP! :( My word is doing the same thing, it wont save. I have a macbook pro and i'm using word 2011 and am doing note on notebook but it wont save :( or if not, it'll randomly start loading or freeze for a long time and then just shut down word and i lose everything. Do you know what i can do? THANKKK YOU!

PLEASE HELP! :( My word is doing the same thing, it wont save. I have a macbook pro and i'm using word 2011 and am doing note on notebook but it wont save :( or if not, it'll randomly start loading or freeze for a long time and then just shut down word and i lose everything. Do you know what i can do? THANKKK YOU!

Just to confirm have you followed the below solution for automatically saving file after respected time???
    • First open the Word menu and then just click on Preferences
    • After that Under the "Output and Sharing" option just click on Save
    • Make sure that you are check marking the"Save AutoRecover info every" option as well as the time frequency you want to get the file automatically saved. Here choosing 1 min will be the best option.

is is what you have done??? if not then try it out and then let me know if it is helping.

Just today I downloaded Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 as a Torrent and it downloaded just fine. But somehow it doesn't seem to save and my laptop is practically empty! I have the same problem as everyone else here but I'm just hoping there is a way of fixing it without re-installing the software as it took me 2 hours to download :( RESPONSE ASAP!