Thread: scroll with mouse wheel does not work only in Office 2007

scroll with mouse wheel does not work only in Office 2007

First of all let me list my configuration. It is Dell Optiplex 745 running with Windows Vista Ultimate and recently installed Office 2007 Pro. I bought a new Dell USB mouse recently. Now the problem am facing is mouse wheel works fine with all applications installed my system including browsers and Windows Explorer except only Office.

Actually the problem is not more complicated because Mouse Scroll doesn’t work in MS Word body but when I move the mouse over the scroll bar and rotate it does scroll the text as expected. Very strange for me. I mean if mouse scroll is faulty it should not work with any application. If there would be any setting preventing it to work in Office it should not work on the scroll bar as well, right?

Any advice?

I’ll suggest you to better try updating your Mouse Drivers again. Make sure you get the most recent ones. There is no such settings in Office or Windows which makes it work only on the scroll bar and not anywhere else. Also if you have any secondary mouse you should connect it temporarily and see if it is also behaving in the same manner.

remedy for the problem

in control panel mouse settings

mouse properties > wheel > press on radio button office 97 emulation only

You wrote:
    "in control panel mouse settings
    mouse properties > wheel > press on radio button office 97 emulation only "

But, I use a laptop, and when I go to control panel, the only mouse settings I see are for my touchpad.

I want to change the settings for my USB device. Is there a separate place for USB mice settings???

Re: scroll with mouse wheel does not work only in Office 2007

If you are upgrading your software (e.g. from MS 2003 to 2007) go to the right corner bottom of the screen (Start is on the left and the mouse feature is on the right) and double click on the mouse to change the setting. Note this is different mouse setting than the one on control panel.