Thread: New Compatibility Pack won't Open any 2007 files

New Compatibility Pack won't Open any 2007 files

I am facing problem with office compatibility pack. I had downloaded a beta version of Office 2007 on Vista machine. I had also downloaded a Office file convertor that would allow me to open 2007 files on old computer that has Office 2003. In that my friend recommended me to add compatibility pack that would allow me to open different version instantly. But it looks 2007 files are not at all detected. Is there a way to open the same on office 2003.

You have to save the files in Office 97-2003 format. I do not think any convertor can help you to do that. I kept the format saved because I had also faced the same issue when I try to open new office files on a older edition. Office 2003 does not read docx. or xlsx file format. So just open all the files and save them in doc. or .xls format and then check again.

I had tried many convertors and none of them worked. The compatibility pack is for the new edition of Office Suite not for the old one. There are viewers that allow you to see files but you cannot edit them. So if you are looking for help to find a good viewer then there are ample of them available on web. But remember that you cannot modify it.

I am trying to do the same by creating my own template. By default when you save any file the new extension is applied. But by an customized template it is possible to get a default saving format. Like the one you are talking about 97-2003. That would be much better and easier. I was also tried to find out a option by which I can open a new edition of Office file on older version but that did not worked well.

Hi guys,
    I decompressed the .exe file to a network share, and added the .msi to the computer assigned software install GPO.

Work fine, rolls out the msi, however, it shows me the new docx files and allows me to open them, but instead of displaying them it says, this is made from a newer version of office and do I want to download the update to view the document?