Thread: Corrupt .pst files and unwanted prf*.tmp files

Corrupt .pst files and unwanted prf*.tmp files

We have 10 PCs at office running with Outlook 2003. Since past months don’t know every one’s PST files are getting corrupt. I don’t know what could be the reasons. All users are using Outlook with roaming profiles. Though every time I restore that pst fro the backup, it gets corrupt again. I restore the file instead of running the Scanpst utility because much of the file data is removed when using Scanpst.

Do youi guys have any idea what could be corrupting my .pst files? One more thing, while troubleshooting all these I also noticed that several prf*.tmp files are getting generated in the roaming profiles that are very similar in size to the user's .pst files. Somebody please help.

Re: Corrupt .pst files and unwanted prf*.tmp files

Does the .pst are stored by default on Network storage? If yes, than there are 100% chances of getting the .pst files corrupt because pst over a network is not supported as it can lead to corruption. SO, I’ll suggest you to make it store on the local PCs. It should help.

I think you are right. After reading your post I found some articles which confirm that Microsoft didn't support network storage of .pst's. But it is very sad to know. Is there any specific reason why Microsoft is doing so?

While searching regarding this on Microsoft I found an Article describing “Limits to using personal folders (.pst) files over LAN and WAN links” http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;297019 The article also provides 3 alternatives to .pst files which are as follows:
    • Use Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 or Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 Personal Archive mailboxes.
    • Configure Microsoft Outlook in Cached Exchange Mode. This caches Exchange Server mailbox data in a local Offline Folders (.ost) file.
    • Configure Outlook to run on Windows Terminal Services and to connect to the Exchange Server mailbox in Online mode.

See if it helps you anyway.

Did you ever get a response to this issue? I am having the same problem on one computer in our network now. PST files are stored in all users' profile (Documents and Settings\user.domain\Outlook) and this is the only person who is having problems, just starting recently. We syncronize with the server when logging on/off as per standard Windows Server setup.

The PST file becomes corrupt and there are numerous prf*.tmp files. The SCANPST.EXE tool doesn't work properly and puts everything into "Lost & Found", but is missing the last two months of e-mail data. Is it a bug in Office 2003?

... Mike.

Anti Virus

Have you updaed your AV software lateley. The logoff process writes a prfxxx.tmp file and then renames it to the proper naem. Our AV now scans .tmp files.....