Thread: What is the best way to empty a large Microsoft Excel file

What is the best way to empty a large Microsoft Excel file

I am looking for some helpful ways to make my excel sheet a little less bulky. I have deleted all sheets, and contents from my excel file, but it's still 2Mb in size. When I zip it, it's only 90K Bytes. (A blank excel file is usually 90K Bytes) Why is my empty file so large. It was originally 5 Meg, and I deleted all sheets, formulas, and VB codes. Right now there is nothing (except one empty sheet), but the size is still 2M. Please respond.

Re: What is the best way to empty a large Microsoft Excel file

On the one hand you can sometimes Excel from the menu File > Open to go, and then click on the file open dialog in the right place at the bottom open, click on the arrow and open repair. Sometimes what I find is that Excel counts unused rows as part of the file size. So what I do is highlight all the rows from the first unused one to the last one, i.e. ctrl+g to bring up the goto box, then Ax:a65536, and delete the rows, where x is the first row after all your work ends. This normally reduces the file size significantly.

Such problems are not noticed in the newer version of Microsoft Excel. You need to carefully watch the files themselves, did not get there any debris, such as pictures, ole-objects, textures, graphics, the names of forgotten, hidden, and the cell sheets. All sorts of reasons may be. Did you accidentally save it as a Picture file. If not why don't you just hit "print preview" and see what it looks like. Chances are there is an image or something in it. Maybe you selected a huge print area on accident. Check the header and the footer through the print preview as well.

Hmmm, you are trying to email a workbook that has no macros, and has the one requisite sheet, and that sheet is empty. At this point, I expect there is nothing left that you want to email. After deleting rows and column, you probably will also have to save the file. The check of what you have for a last cell is Ctrl+End

I have read all the threads on all the forums about workbooks that have become too large. I was having the same problem. File started off about 5mb and after a few weeks had somehow worked up to about 20mb for no real reason. Yes, it saved a few kb when I deleted all the unused cells at the end of the data rows and columns and saved it again, but I've found the real reason for these huge files. Take sharing off your workbook!! Then save and save again. It will reduce the file size by 400% or so.