Thread: How to get Horizontal Error Bars in Excel 2007

How to get Horizontal Error Bars in Excel 2007

How to get Horizontal Error Bars in Excel 2007, is it possible to still do this in Excel 2007. I can find Vertical, but not horizontal.

Re: How to get Horizontal Error Bars in Excel 2007

Yes, they still exist but they're not easy to find. If you have an XY chart for example, click on the outside edge. In the layout tab go to the analysis group. Select Error Bars > More Error Bar Options. It should then add vertical and horizontal error bars to your chart. However, the Format Error Bars dialog box indicates only Vertical Error Bars. What is hard to see is that the dialog box is modeless. So, while it's still on your screen you can click on the error bars in the chart. As you click on a horizontal error bar, the dialog box will switch to a horizontal mode. When you click on a vertical error bar, it then goes to the vertical mode. Seems like it was a lot easier in Excel 2003.

I have tried these instructions but still cannot add X-error bars. I have an X-Y scatter plot, and when I add error bars it is only vertical. If I click on my series with the error bar modeless dialog box on the screen, I can only click on the vertical error bars. How can I click on (to select) horizontal error bars if they don't seem to exist.

The error bars are there, if it is in fact an XY chart and not a line chart. The arbitrary value of Excel assigns may make them too short to see behind the oversize Excel 2007 markers. You can select them using the dropdown in the top left of the Chart Tools > Layout and Format tabs.