Thread: Is it possible to have function which can insert date automatically in Excel

Is it possible to have function which can insert date automatically in Excel

Does anyone know of a function that can make Excel automatically insert the current date into a cell when a file is opened up.

Re: Is it possible to have function which can insert date automatically in Excel

You could put =TODAY() in a cell and it will up date, if you don't want the date to change after you put it in use some code in the workbook open event to do it, like this : Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1") = Date.

Re: Is it possible to have function which can insert date automatically in Excel

I have a question about inserting a current date into a spreadsheet, but I don't want the date to change once I've saved it, closed it and reopened it on a different date. Can you explain the formula to insert the current date in a cell (or range of cells) and once you save, that date stays, but the next day enters that current date.

While neither a formula solution nor an automated method, simply doing Ctrl+; (in other words, holding down the Ctrl key while hitting the semi-colon) will enter the current date as a static (non-changing) date into the active cell.

How can I make today's date auto fill in a cell upon entering data in another cell. I would like the cell B1 that contains the date to remain empty until I enter data in cell A1.

An easy way is to make cell B1 have =today() be in it, but format it to white text. then do conditional formatting that if A1<>"" then the text changes to black and the date can be seen. that way the date is always there, you just don't see it until you enter data into cell A1. hope that helps.

I am assuming that once the date is added to the worksheet, you would not want it to change. If that is the case, you will need to use VB event code to handle this. Is a VB solution an acceptable choice.

I know VERY LITTLE about using Excel -- just learning -- so trial and error is my only option. I have Excel X for Mac (a slightly older version). I want to cause the date inside one of the cells to change automatically when I open. I tried adding =TODAY() directly into the cell, but it only prints with those same characters in the document. It doesn't show a date. I went into "View Code" to try adding it there, but there is already stuff in the window. I don't really understand how to do this. Can you help me.

Format that cell as General or with the specific date format that you prefer, then re-enter the formula. The cell was formatted as text, which disables formulas just for that cell. Or else try the below code :
    Code:
    Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Not Application.Intersect(Target, Columns("D")) Is Nothing Then
    Target.Offset(0, -3).Value = Format(Now, "mm dd yyyy h:mm:ss")
    End If
    If Not Application.Intersect(Target, Columns("I:I")) Is Nothing Then
    Target.Offset(0, 1).Value = Format(Now, "mm dd yyyy h:mm:ss")
    End If
    End Sub

Copy/paste this code to your sheet module.
    Code:
    Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
    On Error GoTo stoppit
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    If Target.Address = "$A$1" Then
    Target.Offset(0, 1).Value = Format(Now, "mm-dd-yyyy hh:mm")
    End If
    stoppit:
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    End Sub

If you want this for any cell in Column A use this code instead.

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
    'when entering data in a cell in Col A
    On Error GoTo stoppit
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    If Target.Cells.Column = 1 Then
    n = Target.Row
    If Me.Range("A" & n).Value <> "" Then
    Me.Range("B" & n).Value = Format(Now, "mm-dd-yyyy hh:mm")
    End If
    End If
    stoppitl:
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    End Sub

How can I insert a date which is the first date of the following month of a given date. For example, I have a number of dates and I need to put the 1st date of the following month. Can I do it using excel formula. or will I have to inset the 1st date of the following month manually.