Thread: How to maintain the hyperlinks while moving the excel files location

How to maintain the hyperlinks while moving the excel files location

I am using Office 2003. I have a folder with a large number of Excel files that all have hyperlinks to unique Word documents saved in another area of the shared drive. I would like to move the entire folder but am afraid that the hyperlinks won't work correctly when the folder is moved. I tested a few of the Excel files and the hyperlinks did not work after the change in location. Is there a way I can move the entire folder of Excel files while keeping the active hyperlinks to the Word documents without having to change the hyperlink address in each file after they are moved. Here are some examples of the current hyperlinks address to the Word documents:
    • .../Project%20Development/DCA%20Action%20Pkgs/FY%2003/OTI/FY03%20OTI%20action%20package_vFinal.doc
    • ../../../Project%20Development/DCA%20Action%20Pkgs/FY%2006/Georgia/FY06%20DCA%20Action%20Package_Georgia_Constanta_vF INAL.doc

Re: How to maintain the hyperlinks while moving the excel files location

In simple words you cannot do this. When you move the folder you will break the hyperlinks. You could use VBA to open each file and modify the links but that will require some custom code. There is no easy way around it.

Re: How to maintain the hyperlinks while moving the excel files location

Yes it is right, when you move a excel sheet location the file references are not updated automatically. You will have to modify each of them every time. There is no option available in Microsoft Excel to deal with this problem.