Thread: How to add a result column in Pivot table by subtracting two existing columns in Excel

How to add a result column in Pivot table by subtracting two existing columns in Excel

I have a pivot table that has rows for account numbers and columns that represent months. The data section has the year to date amount for each account number. Is there a way to create a new column that subtracts one months year to date value from the previous month year to date value in order to come up with the monthly value? Also, is it possible to have this only apply to certain rows. For instance, the balance sheet accounts are year to date amounts but income statement accounts are monthly mounts. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Re: How to add a result column in Pivot table by subtracting two existing columns in Excel

There is a way to do this. Click on one of your months. Then, go to PivotTable > Formulas > Calculated Item. This will give the formula a name. Then, from the Fields list, select the appropriate Field. To subtract the months, from the Items list, add the month you want to subtract from, then put the minus sign, then add the month you want to subtract. an example would look something like this: =Feb-Jan. You would have to do this for each set of months you want to perform the calculation for. Also, you would have to drag the column to the place you want it to appear, if you don't want Excel to simply put the calculation as an extra column at the far right of your PivotTable.

Re: How to add a result column in Pivot table by subtracting two existing columns in Excel

It took me a while to figure out how to drag the column but I figured it out. Until you mentioned it I didn't know that could be done.