Thread: EXCEL.EXE followed by code problem

EXCEL.EXE followed by code problem

Hi all here's what happened.

One day my Excel 2003 stopped showing different files in separate windows, which was a huge pain when i had to compare data from two sheets. so i did a little search and found a thread on how to fix that problem. so i went to File Options, (before the path was C/Program FIle......EXCEL.EXE /e), I changed it to EXCEL.EXE "%1", and i deleted anything under DDE MESSAGE. well...that didn't really fix my original problem, so i tried to change everything back to my original setting ...(changing the path back to EXCEL.EXE /e, etc), but for whatever reason, after i click SAVE-Close, the system would automatically add another %1 behind /e. and everything i open 2 or more excel files at the same time, there would be an error message showing: personal.xls is current being used by "XXXX" .....

So now, not only couldn't I open files in different windows, i have to deal with this error message everytime i open multiple files...
    any help would be greatly appreciated.
    also, what does /e , %1, mean???

Re: EXCEL.EXE followed by code problem

If it is not recognizable through the Personal.xls file (even if I suspect you are), it is a file that you are able to store macros within that you would like to be available whenever you have Excel open. So Excel for all time opens Personal.xls at the time it starts up, and hides it. Personal.xls is more often than not located within the \Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Xlstart folder resting on your hard drive. If you have not intentionally set up a Personal.xls file through your macros, and you consequently don't actually get it, your difficulty can be removed by deleting it.