Thread: Outlook 2010 window won't open unless in safe mode

Outlook 2010 window won't open unless in safe mode

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble opening Outlook 2010 in my Windows 7 x64 machine. Every time I try to open it, the program shows up in the taskbar, but I can't open the main window. I never get any kind of error message, not even in the event viewer, at least for the past few days, when it started to happen. If I right click it in the task bar, I'm able to create new mail message, new contact, etc, but never to open the main window.

This is a list of what I've tried so far:
    1. Run it in safe mode (Outlook.exe /safe). It works
    2. Create a new mail profile in the same user acount. Doesn't open. Same as with old profile.
    3. Create a new Windows user and open Outlook in that account, with a new mail profile. It works fine.
    4. Back to original windows user. Run it in safe:1, safe:3 and safe:4. Safe:4 gives an invalid argument error. Safe:1 and 3, it's the same behavior than opening it normally. Window won't open.
    5. Disable all add-ins with safe mode and restarted. No luck, same thing.
    6. Regarding the last step, there is one add-in I can't disable: Microsoft VBA for Outlook. When I go to the "COM add-ins" window, it's not listed there, so I can't disable it. And it's the only add-in that remains active. Don't know how to disable it.
    7. Deleted the .dll responsible for the VBA for Outlook and restarted. It reinstalled VBA and all remains the same. Only opens in Safe mode.
    8. Run "outlook.exe /resetnavpane" just to check it wouldn't do any difference.... I was right... still no luck.
    9. With "Outlook Tools" I ran a "ScanPst", but it found no errors. Nothing new.
    10. Finally, I tried to Repair MS Office, but no luck there, either.

Can you point me anything else besides uninstalling Office and reinstall it? If I have to do that:
    a) what data do I have to backup, besides my PSTs end outlook rules?
    b) Can I backup all my email accounts (I have 4 different email accounts configured in Outlook) definitions?
    c) As they are POP accounts, I know that if I delete everything, Outlook will transfer all my emails that are still in the POP servers. How can I stop this?

Hope you can help me out, because I've spent all afternoon reading forums and tips, but seems no one has had my exact problem.
    I'm very suspicious of that VBA (step 6 in my description) add-in, but can't figure out what to do...

TIA for some ideas,
    Manuel

Re: Outlook 2010 window won't open unless in safe mode

Now I've also tried:

11. Run Windows in safe mode and start outlook normally. It tries to start some kind of installation and then gives me an error:
    "Outlook can't verify the license of this application. An attempt of repair failed or was canceled by the user. The application will now be closed."
    (My Windows and Outlook are in Portuguese, so I'm not sure if the error translation is exactly this)

12. Clean boot Windows and try to run Outlook normally. This way the result is the same as in normal boot mode: Outlook window doesn't show up and no error message either.

So I'm still stuck ...

Can't anyone help me?

Can you try to revert back to a time when Outlook 2010 was working fine by using the system restore. You can also try to navigate to c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14. For Windows 7 64 bit versions : c:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14. Right click Outlook.exe Go to compatibility tab, Check if there is a check for ' Run this program in compatibility mode for' windows xp some other operating system.

Unfortunately, my system restore was turned off. Don't know why, because I've never turned it off. Maybe in windows 7 the restore is disconnected by default, but I've never had any trouble with it since installation (December 2009)...

I also checked for the compatibility mode for Outlook.exe and it's normal. I don't have the compatibility mode selected.

So... still stuck with safe mode :((

Thanks anyway for your suggestions Expertz

Found a article on microsoft that might help you out solve this issue, follow the below steps:

1. Search and rename the following files if found:
    outcmd.dat, views.dat, frmcache.dat & extend.dat

2. Backup the registry, remove any outlook add-in sub keys which are at the
    following locations:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\

3. Stop the Windows Search Service

Go to Start > Run > services.msc > Windows Search > Stop

4. Check task manager to see if any processes are loading with Outlook if so remove related software.

Can't be sure, but I think the only process showing up besides Outlook.exe is the windows search. As it's automatic it starts again.

As for the dat files, none was found, and I deleted the keys from that locations.

In task manager, should I also "Show processes from all users"? If so, how can I look for new processes easily? There are about 80 running...

Can you try to turn off UAC in your windows 7 machine which might be set for default. I was also facing similar problems and when I turned off the UAC and rebooted the machine everything in Office was opening normally, but when I set it back to default the problem was recurring. So try this solution and check whether it works for you or not.

Quote Originally Posted by simond View Post
    Can you try to turn off UAC in your windows 7 machine which might be set for default. I was also facing similar problems and when I turned off the UAC and rebooted the machine everything in Office was opening normally, but when I set it back to default the problem was recurring. So try this solution and check whether it works for you or not.
    Already tried that and didn't work either. Sadly I'm still having that problem and can't get Outlook to work normally.

Have you tried to uninstall it again and also tried to remove your Outlook profile (Control Panel/Mail) as well as deleting the following Registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office

Thank you for the replies.

Got tired of it and, as my computer wasn't formatted since December 2009, I took some patience and did it... problem solved (but not in he best way)

Quote Originally Posted by mjrocha View Post
    Thank you for the replies.

Got tired of it and, as my computer wasn't formatted since December 2009, I took some patience and did it... problem solved (but not in he best way)
    Hi, I will answer to this, if someone else is same problem. I had the same problem too. I fixed it by next easy steps:

1. Add outlook shortcut to desktop (maybe not necessary if you have one already, I didn't)
    2. Right click on shortcut and choose properties
    3. Select to Run: Maximized
    4. Start Outlook from that shortcut
    5. Right click on taskbar and select: Cascade Windows

After those steps it just started to work at me. Hope this will help someone.