Thread: Office 2007 slow to open files on network drive

Office 2007 slow to open files on network drive

I am working on Office 2007 that I had installed on Windows XP SP3. I had just recently upgraded the office edition. All stuff is stored on the network drive. But when I try to save or open the file I am not able to get enough performance. It takes quiet a long time to open the file. The same is applicable to save the file. The network looks to be working fine. There is no issue with the connectivity. I can manually copy paste the file from one place to another.

Re: Office 2007 slow to open files on network drive

I was having similar problems with Word and Excel 2007 files. I was also having the issue of whenever trying to copy/move files from the network share to the local computer, IE would prompt me with "Do you want to move or copy files from this zone?" You wouldn't neccessarily think the two issues are related, but they are.

It seems IE trys to detect the intranet settings while opening files, and once it does, every other file opened in that session opens without delay.

Go to Security tab in Internet Options, click on Local Intranet, then click on Sites. Uncheck "Automatically detect intranet network", and check "Include all local (intranet) sites not listed in other zones" and "Include all network paths (UNCs)".

Hope this works for you,

I am getting the same kind of issue on my system also. But the delay time is around 10 to 15 seconds. Not more than that. I had checked everything. Connectivity is fine and I can transfer files also. But it looks the problem lies internally with Microsoft Word only due to which you are getting that problem. You can try to remap the drive and check once again. I hope that will help you more.

Try to update your network drivers and then check back. This will help you to fix the issue. The same issue also appear due to antivirus. Some antivirus keeps realtime scan on network due to which you face issue of slow performance. Another reason for the problem is large files. If the files that you are editing are large and has ample of graphics then the problem cannot be fixed.

I also am using Office 2007 on a brand new computer equiped with Windows XP Professional which is connected to a server network. Not only are Excel 2003 files slow to open and save, but any of the new formats are too. However, I have noticed a trend that is becoming glaringly obvious:

1. Files on my local computer open, save and close in an instant, even when they are several MB in size, and have complexities such as macros and multiple integrated sheets.

2. On the other hand, files across the intranet can take up to 60 seconds to open or save.

3. If I open a 'slow' file from the server, and save it onto my own computer, it works like lightening.

Has anybody got any ideas why this is happening? Is the server network interfering with the downloading and saving of files? Another problem which I believe could be related is this: when I transfer a file over the intranet to the server, it goes very quickly. However, when I try to bring it back from the server to my computer, it takes literally a hundred times longer! Sounds incredible, but it is true! Could these two problems be related? The strange thing is that under Office 2003 I did not have a problem with files over the intranet.

Re: unable to save document on the network share

I know the post is old - but Mark, you hit the nail on the head. I disabled the eTrust (one client still uses it) and was able to save to the share.

Thanks.

I realize this is an old post, but it seemed to be abandoned with no resolution. We are experiencing the exact same issues with one added complication. Occasionally a file is listed as being locked even though we are certain no one else has the file open at that time. So as not to stray from the topic, I want to concentrate on the original issue of files opening slowly I just thought I would mention this additional problem. our environment includes:

File Server = Windows Server 2008R2 (Dual Quad Cores, 16GB, 2TB)
    Workstations = Windows 7 Pro x64 (laptops and desktops)
    Network = Gigabit

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Many users have faced this issue including me and after installing only one add-in, Lookup Wizard, to MS Excel I am now facing no more problems with slow opening of Excel 2007 stored files. I followed the instructions given here, I found that Excel can now open file within 10 seconds. Hope that helps anyone else facing this issue as well.