Thread: Help with bios checksum error?

Help with bios checksum error?

I have a Jetway V266B Socket A - AMD Motherboard.

It has built in "BIOS Write Protect function" to avoid Virus crash data so it says.

The only problem is that I have had a Checksum error and it looks like the bios has failed after my little daughter desided to create rap music with the power button. I have downloaded the award Bios and created a startup disk. It Loads, finds the .bin file but wont let me load the new bios into the chip. Can anyone help? or is it time to move on in technology. It does everything I need to do or should i say it did.

Regards

most of the time checksum errors in CMOS is a battery going out, Viruses can also affect CMOS settings, as can motherboard problems

i would replace the battery first

Thanks for that. Already tried that, checked the battery and its been replaced. Still cant seem to get into the Bios chip to install the bios. Also tried to reset the CMOS. No Luck yet!!! Cheers

Sounds like a bad flash, or just a dying motherboard. It's VERY rare that the bios just randomly goes bad... However, I had this one motherboard that would give me such errors. Then it wouldn't give me any video. Then it would work fine... Haha, eventually, it quit working all together.

All I could suggest is double-check you've got everything correct on that disk, maybe even try another(newer/older) bios version.
    Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly

BIOS ROM checksum error

I flashed my bios a month ago using a bios file from the motherboard manufacturer's site. Before doing this I saved the bios as a bin file for backup. I was asked to reboot and I did that. Now I am not able to boot to windows and used to get a black screen with BIOS ROM checksum error message.

So I tried to fix this. First of all I tried to flash with different versions of flash utility but it didn't worked. So I tried setting the JCMOS1 jumper from pins 1 and 2 to pins 2 and 3 to reset the CMOS/bios settings. But no go.

How can I fix this issue? Should I go for new motherboard or is there any other solution for this issue?

Flashing your bios resets everything including the voltage for your ram. Thus your system would not boot. You can try using different ram to see if works. But if not then your ram might not be getting enough volts.

I was also having the same problem with my motherboard and the service man told me that it was because I did a lot of overclocking to my mobo. I had to replace the mobo to get rid of it. But since this is not the case with you, I think you only need to get the new bios chip to get it solved.

Quote Originally Posted by rohit007 View Post
    BIOS ROM checksum error message.
    This error appears when your bios is corrupted. Try to recover the bios using floppy disk (I don't know how to recover that). You may find it on net or on motherboard manufacturer's manual.

Hi,

Check this tutorial : How to update your BIOS ?