AMD64 2800
    ASUS K8N
    512mb hynix 400mhz
    Gigabyte ATI 9600pro 128mb
    sony dvd RW
    seagte 40gb hdd(old hdd)
    kunwahar 400W powersuppy (powersafe)
    Creative 6.1 inspire

BUt from the time i have bought it have been facing this BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH crashes consistently.But really had been facing this problem since my older p3 machine. but was hoping it wont repeat now.

The blue screen flashed an error like DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL and something like that.

first i tried xp pro without sp1 and had many probs.
    then i installed sp1 and it worked fine for some days then again had this problem.
    Now i have got xp pro media center edition with SP2...WHICH WAS SUPOSEDLY THE SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM. but now today faced the same problem again.
    Am absolutely confused as to what the problem is.
    Got latest nforce drivers and new ati catalyst drivers...even replaced my ram to see if that was giving problem...but to no avail..

Saw on some websites that some nvidia card users had similar probems...also almost all amd64 users had this problem as the data execution prevention (DEP) in amd64 processors where confused with the NX bit protocol and would stop any malicious software by blocking a memiory address.

But seriously....have tried almost everything now....

Its upto u guyz now to do something.

Also i use a usb ADSL modem for my broadband...still wondering if that is causing the problem.

REPLY soon.

Adios
    Draz
    Smile and the world smiles with you...Sleep and u sleep alone

Seriously I havent had a single BOD since I installed XP first on my P2, then later on an XP 2400+ and now on a A64 3000+
    Do you have any PCI devices installed?

yup

i have a PCI firewire card installed.

Hmm maybe that may be causing some issues. Have you tried removing the card, and check if the comp is stable or not?

I suggest you strip your machine down to bare minimum (remove firewire card etc) and boot from a Live Linux CD (say, UBUNTU or Knoppix) and let it run for a while and see whether there is any problem. That will let you isolate whether it is a hardware or a software problem.
    My Main Computer
    P4 2.4C, Asus P4P800 Deluxe, Zalman Alcu7000A HSF, 2X256 MB Crucial and 2X256 MB Corsair DDR 400 RAM, Radeon 9500 Pro, LOGITECH MX 510 mouse, Antec Smartpower 350 watts, Seagate and Samsung 7200 rpm HDD-80 GB each, SyncMaster 763MB monitor, Samsung CD writer, Altec Lansing ATP 3 speaker.

visit these sites:
    http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=271955&sd=RMVP

Has got a whole list of STOP error messages. the error you mention seems to be a faulty RAM (as per the 2nd site given above) give it a try...

EDIT: you know what? I came across this site just today. am having the same kinda problems till date. will switch RAM and try. woohoo
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ . ASUS K8N-E Deluxe . ATi Radeon 9600 w 128Mb DDR . 1 Gb 400Mhz DDR Transcend . Creative Inspire 2.1 speakers . Logitech Deluxe Keyboard + Optical Mouse . 200 Gb Seagate SATA / 120Gb Maxtor IDE / 40 Gb Samsung IDE . Sony DVD writer . 1.44 Floppy Drive . Samsung 17" 753s

yup...tried strriping the ram...and got a new ram chip...same problem again.

And where do u get these live linux cds?

have fedora core 3 isos from DIGIT dvd..will that help.

And will surely try removing the pci firewire card.

I think Digit carried a Knioppix distro in its DVD a few months back. Otherwise it is avilable for download on the net. But a huge download of about 650 MB. For a list of mirrors visit:
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/?lang=en

For UBUNTU live CD:
    http://releases.ubuntu.com/warty/war...-live-i386.iso

There are much smaller Live Linux distros also. But their hardware detection is a bit suspect. See this for a quick roundup of "best picks" for Linux Live CD's:
    http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=9569
    My Main Computer
    P4 2.4C, Asus P4P800 Deluxe, Zalman Alcu7000A HSF, 2X256 MB Crucial and 2X256 MB Corsair DDR 400 RAM, Radeon 9500 Pro, LOGITECH MX 510 mouse, Antec Smartpower 350 watts, Seagate and Samsung 7200 rpm HDD-80 GB each, SyncMaster 763MB monitor, Samsung CD writer, Altec Lansing ATP 3 speaker.

hi

I removed the pci firewire card and the system is pretty stable till now(Touchwood)

Will give one more update on the system status later.

But if it was this pci card giving problem...why was it really giving the problem...how do i use my firewire port handycam now?

Also i was planing to have a TV tuner card and remote for my Media center edition 2005 Xp .(Will start a diff thread for it).........So will adding a TV tuner card which i think is PCI cause problems again?

sad bad news

bad news guyz,

My rig crshed again.Had kept it on overnight for downloads and when i woke up it had crashed again. So dont thing the PCI card was a problem.

So what next...any other solution??????

SunMysore Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by draz
    But if it was this pci card giving problem...why was it really giving the problem...
    Must be IRQ conflicts...these get real ugly.....

My P3 had 3 PCI slots.....If i used all three, the TV Tuner wouldnt work....I had no potion but to remove it coz i cant remove the Soundcard (P3 oced, onboard sound conked) and obviously, the modem.

Also, if i plugged in an external HDD (HDD in external casing, USB) my secondary channel (secondary master and slave) wudnt work until i plugged the HDD off and restarted......

If it IS IRQ conflicts, they you have no other option to go.......except get a mobo with onboard firewire

SunMysore Guest
    bad news guyz,

My rig crshed again.Had kept it on overnight for downloads and when i woke up it had crashed again. So dont thing the PCI card was a problem.

So what next...any other solution??????
    What are the temperatures???? make usre you get some software thay records the temperatures at every instant ( like ASUS Probe ) it'll determine if the crash was caused by Voltage or temperatures....

are u sure it wud be cos of voltage or temp .

The worst i fear is hardware problems. I have got my gfx card ,ram and powersafe powersource from bbay. and rest all stuff back here from blore....

unless i figure out the problem i cant even go to my dealer in blore for a hardware replacement.(But this is the worst i fear..i hope its a s/w issue)

also mite have to download linux live cd..if system is stable for that long.

I had ordered those ubuntu cds but nothings arroived yet...almost 2 months now.

but keep ur suggestions poring in..i need them desparately now

SunMysore Guest
    The blue screen flashed an error like DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL and something like that.
    Definetly IRQ problem...

Hey....try switching PCI slots, i mean stick the PCI card to a different slot....

BTW IMHO, the PC crashing while dloading can be a software issue too i've experienced it many times......

Just checked, Sept 2004 Digit DVD had knoppix.
    My Main Computer

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast