Thread: Windows 7 giving blue screen after a new processor upgrade

Windows 7 giving blue screen after a new processor upgrade

I had sold a new Core 2 Duo cpu to my friend. His old cpu was not working fine. It was very slow and heating a lot. Later on I showed that to service center who said it wont be repaired. The processor stopped working after few weeks. I bought a brand new Core 2 Duo from a shop and installed it. Later on after a week he is complaining back for bluescreens. I do not think the issue is with the cpu. I checked the system where everything looks OK. How can I find the problem. I had went inside Event Viewer also, but nothing is specified their. I want to find out the reason for this blue screen. The system has Windows 7 Home Edition.

Re: Windows 7 giving blue screen after a new processor upgrade

There are many reasons for the blue-screen. Only the cpu is not responsible. You have to start working on the OS part first. There can be unstable applications, drivers or system files which are generating this error. Or there can be virus issue also. When your system crash you will get a error code. You have to note down that and then you can use that code to troubleshoot your system. That is the best way to resolve the problem. You can also post that error code here and I can try finding the exact reason for the crash. Just see first by updating drivers. Disconnect all unwanted hardware from the system and test back again.

Open the system case and remove ram from it. If you are having multiple ram sticks then try to test by adding one at a time. I am quiet sure that the system is having problem due to ram. You have to check that. Cleaning the ram edges with rubber will also help. Another way to verify ram problems is using MemTest. This software is free and can be run through a bootable DVD. Just boot your system with it and run a ram test. If you get any error in the test then it means the ram is defective. Bluescreen will continue unless you replace the chips. One more thing you can try out is check the cpu temperature. I hope you had properly connected the fan and applied heatsink over cpu.

You have to post the error report here. Only after that you can get a proper solution. It does not really happen that you get a bluescreen after adding a new cpu in your system. The above guy is correct about the ram problem. RAM is the most common thing that can cause bluescreen problem. Just try to remove it and change its position. There are multiple slots in the system where you can insert the ram sticks. If you can arrange a new stick as a temporary replacement then you can add that also and test for some hours. If the pc does not crash then it is a ram fault. Just try checking this first.

Boot your pc in safe mode. For that you have to reboot and hit F8 continuously on restart. You will get a safe mode menu. From there you can test your system for some time. If the pc does not crash in safe mode then it means the issue is not with the ram. It is some OS problem. As a instant fix you can try using system restore. It will provide you to use the most latest working settings. That will do the job. With this updating the latest drivers in your system will also help. There are few good programs on the web that can provide you instant driver updates. Like DriverBooster. Or you can also download them from the official site of your motherboard manufacturer.

I think driver update can help you here. Also run Windows Update. There are some stable update that will offer you a good output. I do this regularly and it helps me a lot to have a stable output. I do not think the cpu alone is causing the problem. Bluescreen appear due to damage hardware, improper ram placement, damage system files, etc. There are many reason for that. There are chances that your cpu is also heating up. Due to which the pc crash and turns off. You have to go in the bios and recheck the cpu temperature under PC Health status. You will find more information there.

Just try to find the error code and you can search that on Google. The error code will put highlight on the problem you are facing. Because it can be due to some recent changes in your system. And that can only be found through the error code you are getting. You have to check that and then you can figure out a fix for the same. Updates will not help you here. On the official Microsoft forums you can find a list of all error codes which are related to blue screen and you can on that basis troubleshoot your system. This would be a bit faster to resolve the problem.