Thread: How to find whether a graphic card will support my motherboard

How to find whether a graphic card will support my motherboard

What is the way to find whether a graphic card I am buying will be support my existing motherboard or not. I found a DDR3 based card. It is a used one and the person is selling it at a low price. Before buying I want to find out whether this thing is going to work or not. Or else it is a kind of wastage. I did this before when I bought RAM and I was unable to checkout the configuration. And it did not really worked well. My pc was giving me blue screen when I was trying to use it. Later on I kept it aside. So here this card is having some DDR3 memory of 2GB.

Re: How to find whether a graphic card will support my motherboard

You have to match the card specification with your motherboard and you will be able to find whether the gpu will work on your board or not. The second way to find out this is through the official site. Where a lot of information about card compatibility is provided. And on that basis you can test out whether it will work or not. Comparing specification is not really complicated. You just have check the pci specification and then you have to match that with your board. You will be able to locate the card compatibility. Even under motherboard specs a lot of information is mentioned.

Re: How to find whether a graphic card will support my motherboard

First check the pci version of the card. If it is pci 3.0 and your board is having pci 2.0 slots then it is not going to work. But if your motherboard is having pci 3.0 and the card has a pci 2.0 support then it will work. Second you have to find out the power supply requirement. For high end cards it is recommended to have a psu above 650w for smooth output. Or else the card gets overheated and face hardware issues in future. It also puts a huge impact on its performance.