Thread: How to find ram compatibility with old motherboard

How to find ram compatibility with old motherboard

How to find which ram is good for a old motherboard. I am not really sure about the hardware stuff. I have a desktop and a laptop. For the desktop thing I can atleast open the cpu case and check. I can find the ram model inside and buy one which fits the board. Also it is easy to locate on the basis of motherboard model. But what about the laptop. I cannot open up it. And I cannot just buy any ram from the market and hook that in the laptop. This might cause issue. I want to upgrade them.

Re: How to find ram compatibility with old motherboard

You can get the details with the help of a software called as cpuz. This software will read your hardware details and you will get which ram is working in your system. Like DDR2 or DDR3. One thing you have to do is go on the official site of that motherboard or laptop manufacturer and locate what is the max amount of ram you can add. Today's system offer you 32GB or 64GB ram support. But some old one are limited to 8GB or 16GB. So check that first and then only buy. If you get the wrong one it will be a waste of money.

Re: How to find ram compatibility with old motherboard

For desktop also you must use cpuz. That tool will only give you the kind of output you are looking for. To use a ram you have to find the right specification or else your system will crash. Because you are going to use it with your existing ram. So those two should be exactly the same. If you buy different ram then there are chances that your system might fail to boot also. So just match the right ram module and buy it. Compatibility issues are greater when it comes to outdated system.