Thread: What is the difference between oem processor and regular one

What is the difference between oem processor and regular one

I had found that there are two types of processors in the market. The first one is oem which comes pre-installed in many branded system and the second one is regular one. I am looking for the difference between both of them. I am not able to find which one is good here. But I am quiet sure that there is some difference in the price. I had seen a few add on the web where people are selling a oem cpu at a reasonable price and I want to buy that. I hope this will fit well inside my system. Is there a socket difference in it.

Re: What is the difference between oem processor and regular one

Oem comes with less warranty while retail one carry more. This is the only difference I had seen. In OEM you wont get any cpu cooler also. And most of them are having a year warranty. That's it. And if you go with a retail version then you get a stock fan with that. And also the warranty is around 3 years. There is no stock difference in that. Both are same. Just check the price of oem and retail cpu in the market. If there is not much difference then it will be good to go with a new one if you need long lasting performance.

Re: What is the difference between oem processor and regular one

Most of the oem processor does not carry warranty for overclocking. That means once you overclock you loose the warranty. While in retail there are some special edition products which are still under warranty even it is overclocked. So buy properly after checking all stuff. If you need the processor just for your day to day usage then going to with anything can be enough. OEM can be cheaper but good enough for regular pc usage. While retail one gives you more choice to get better models in the market.