Thread: Advice for upgrading psu for Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5

Advice for upgrading psu for Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5

I am looking for a good psu for Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5. It is a good board, but I am not able to get maximum performance from it. I had attached dual gpu, 3 system fan, 2 hard drive and 2 optical drive. Most of the hardware is from my old pc. I am having a 450w psu that also I had removed from the old system. After attaching everything the system is restarting. I need a bit help to get a good psu.

Re: Advice for upgrading psu for Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5

You had attached too many hardware components. 450w cannot handle. You need a good 650w or higher psu. So that your system can work properly. Just for testing purpose hook your system on single graphic card and see that it is working fine or not. Just keep one hard drive and one optical drive attached. If it is working then go for any good 650w or higher processor. But if it is still restarting then test other hardware.

Any psu between 500 to 750w will do the job. You don't really need exact 650w. Most of the time 450w is able to take the pressure but you are having dual gpu. And some additional system fan. So that will take more power. I think Corsair VS550 will be a decent solution for you. This is a 550W psu that works really well. It gives you a constant power output with different connectivity options. The cost is around Rs.3300.

If you are buying then buy a good one. Don't get restricted to your budget. A good psu is very important to keep your hardware working fine. Also it increase the lifetime. But if you are using a very outdated one you won't get a proper output. My friend has OCZ FTY-UK Fatal1ty Series. It is a 550w extreme series psu that works really well and is good for a gaming pc. It is a bit costly. You can check that online.

I had recently upgraded my system. I was looking for a decent psu that can help me to keep my system work fine and also it can provide a proper power output if in future I add more hardware. I had ordered Antec NeoEco 620C. This one really looks nice. I had seen the review of this power supply which showed that this psu is quiet efficient compared to others. And as per the specs it looks loaded with many industrial features.

I am using Antec VP550. I had bought this a year ago. It comes for Rs.4000 approx. It is a best solution for mid range gaming pc. It is a 80+ certified cooler that works really well. It is durable and long lasting. I having a single gpu only. Before this I was having a regular 350w psu that automatically stopped working. This was due to excessive load. There was some short circuit and it was not repairable.

There are few power consumption calculator available online. They give you a proper information on what amount of power your system really needs. Staying on the safer side 450W is not bad enough. But if you are using a very outdated model then it will not manage your hardware. You need a more better product. I trust Antec and Corsair for this. There is no need to spend high for a psu.

I had bought a assembled system. In which I got Seasonic S12II 620 Watts . It was a costly choice but for a processor like Core i7 it is better to stay on the safer side. I do not want to use a low end one. I am having a liquid cooler also. Overall my entire system works really well. There is no performance issue at all. Sometime when I play games the system heats a lot at that time your psu must be good enough to give all hardware proper power.