Thread: What is the difference between cpu logical and physical core

What is the difference between cpu logical and physical core

What is the difference between a logical cpu core and physical. I had always confused between this thing. I was checking specification of some high end processor where the logical and physical core was separately mentioned. I am not able to find out a proper answer for the same. I had tried checking out review also but some says that physical core is what matters a lot. How to differentiate among them and what is the impact of both when it comes to overclocking.

Re: What is the difference between cpu logical and physical core

It is something like a virtual cpu core. That means if you have a two core cpu then the processor will try to run 4 core. Among which two is virtual. Do not go with processor with logical core. This puts heavy impact on the performance.

Logical cores are not meant for overclocking. It was a old technology now replaced and not continued. In logical core a cpu has a single core but it will act as dual core. This is called Intel Hyper-threading technology.This thing started when cpu came into a new era of multi-core processing. It is more better and powerful. Today we can easily find a 4core cpu and all of them are physical. Physical means active core. The more they are more powerful processor is in terms of output. So don't just rely on the logical core. This thing is used in old processor models to show up their performance. That's all. Overclocking has nothing related to logical core. You will have to use a better cpu when it comes to boosting the frequency. Try to find compatible processors only.

It is right those are hyper threading stuff which was used in dual core cpu. It is not gong to give you anything on overclocking. If you are seeing a logical core cpu then you are gong to buy a old one. So just skip that.

I had a old dual core system with that. I am using that for work purpose. It has been long time I had upgraded. I am planing this time to go for Intel Core i series. This new processor come loaded with 4 core and a big high end performance. I am expecting a good output in terms of gaming also. For those who are new to overclocking I have a advice. You must auto overclocking utility. Many board has this feature. It is called as Turbo boost. Turbo boost increase the cpu frequency when needed. Or else it will keep on going at the actual rate. I had seen this thing in my friends pc who uses a AMD processor. Turbo boost makes the system output more better and goes well. It is also ideal for gaming purpose.

Logical core and virtual core are one and the same. If you buy a cpu with logical core then it will be low in performance compare to cpu high in physical core. There is a huge difference between both. Most of the pc today come with physical core.