Thread: Confused between choosing a Core i7 and Core i5 for gaming

Confused between choosing a Core i7 and Core i5 for gaming

I am trying to build up a new gaming rig. Now this is a extreme board. I had decided everything and stuck with processor choice here. There is a huge price difference between Intel Core i5 and Intel Core i7 processor. I am unable to understand which one is good among it. Should I go for Intel Core i5 which looks reasonable in terms of performance and has a decent price also or should I go for Intel Core i7.

Re: Confused between choosing a Core i7 and Core i5 for gaming

Go for Intel Core i5 that is good enough. Core i7 just provide you a more powerful overclocking solution. It remains stable and works well with gaming stuff. I do not really think you need Intel Core i7. Core i5 can do a decent job with a few set of gpu's in it.

The choice of a cpu depends on different needs here. Like what kind of you system you need. And for what purpose you are actually going to use it. For gaming there is a separate requirement and for overclocking things are different. For gaming even a 3rd generation Core i3 processor works fine. There is no issue with the output. It works well and gives you an optimum output. With dual gpu set I think a Core i3 system is also quiet extreme. Because it gives you a high end performance. You just need a system that has matched configuration. While Core i5 is a more higher series here. Today going for a third generation Core i5 system can be super costly. It can hike your budget to great extent. If I was in your place I will spend more on the gpu instead of spending a huge amount on the processor. I would buy a high end gaming motherboard with Intel Core i3 Hashwell cpu and hook around 8GB ram on the same. This would make the system output smoother and better. The second thing which I buy is a big size monitor so that I can play games more properly on it.

If you have a good budget then going for Core i5 is not bad. Because it is good for the future. In coming time there is no need to upgrade. Like still I am using my Quad Core processor for gaming and it works fine.

The basic idea here is to find out who is faster. Whether Core i5 or Core i7. Obviously being a higher model Core i7 looks to be more powerful compare to the lower series. But also you must look for other side. Check what actually the game want. If the game is capable of running well on Core i3 system then spending a huge amount on high end processor is not sensible. Core i7 is a extreme processor. Ideal for those who want a rig which is high end and is capable of giving you extreme performance. Also you can boost the system by overclocking. Core i7 works more stable on overclocking. It operate on low power and does not heat up really fast. Cost of a regular Core i7 cpu that offer you a clock rate of 3.2Ghz comes for Rs.43000. While Core i5 is available at Rs.14,000. So that does not looks really bad. For gaming purpose it is necessary that along with a good cpu you must also have a decent graphic card. Many buys a high end cpu but invest very low on the graphic card and does not get good performance.

I think if you go for the Hashwell generation then it is far more better. Under this the new Core i5 series is more superior and it is capable of giving you cool output. The 3rd generation processors are far more improved than any other.

I am giving you a short description of a gaming laptop that I had bought recently. Now this is not a extreme system but still it is having a standard hardware config due to which I am able to play all kinds of game has mid settings. Like keeping everything on mid resolution. It has second generation Core i3 cpu with 2GB ram and 1GB Nvidia 610m gpu. This graphic card is bit outdated but still working well with games. Now if you need a decent gaming rig you do not really need a very costly or high end system. You can go ahead with Core i5. Second generation will be surely more cheaper compare to the third one. You can go with Second Generation and add upto 8GB of ram. The more physical memory there is more smoother will be the system. The second thing you can do is add a dual set of gpu on the same. Many high end board offer you tripe set of gpu support. That is for multiple monitors. But dual looks more than enough.

Core i7 is only recommended if you want to go for extreme overclocking. A mid range of overclocking will also go well with Core i5, but Core i7 is a extreme processor designed for high end output only. Go for it only if required. I think budget alternatives are more better.