Thread: What is the benefit of having a UEFI bios

What is the benefit of having a UEFI bios

I am unable to understand the benefit of UEFI bios. I had seen many laptop are coming loaded with the same. What are the benefit of the same. I had seen a netbook which has Windows 8 and it come loaded with UEFI bios. I was trying to format the same. The person who own this does not want Windows 8, he is looking for Windows 7. It looks very basic compare to the regular bios.

Re: What is the benefit of having a UEFI bios

This bios is not different, but a replacement for the older one. Where you can see a outdated dos screen. It is applied to add more security and give you faster boot time. That's all. Others things are quiet similar here. There are not special features.

UEFI are new age bios. It stand for Unified Extensible Firmware Interface. This new interface allows a pc to performance more better. It is designed to give more better support to input and output. UEFI is rightnow supported by high number of manufacturer's. Now compare to old one this new one is more improved and is capable of giving you advance features. Soon the old bios will be replaced by this new one. It is a new bios that extend the limitation of a system. Like in old bios you have some limitation fo using low disk drives, but in this you can use more larger hard drives. The main aim of having this bios is that you can have more powerful security. Today virus are entering in the bios also destroying a pc completely. UEFI bios are capable of avoiding bootkit attacks. It also improve the system boot time which matters a lot here. A systems output depend on its faster boot time. Also we keep our system on sleep or on hibernation. UEFI resumes faster and works well. This new one is now capable of giving you support for more than 2.2TB of hard drive. That means you can use a large storage space on it. If your system has a UEFI bios then it is good.

I had seen a good article on web that says that UEFI is more superior then the regular bios and secure. Yet it is not adopted by many manufacturer's. But soon this will be replaced. I think this would extend the capability of a system.

A bios is the core component of a system. It is require a system to boot and work. The bios allows the system to communicate properly with different hardware. Now it is not possible to flash the existing bios and add UEFI. It is a different chip. Major advantage of this new bios system is that you can have a new type of mbr on your system. Instead of using mbr, this bios has support of guid. Which offer to use higher storage drive. Like on some motherboard you cannot use drive above 1TB. That is the limitation. EFI is widely used in apple devices. This is just a replication to increase the systems performance and making it more useful.Once a UEFI is applied there is nothing to worry about boot-loaders. And above a system can have UEFI with any other bios.