Thread: replacing CMOS battery on Asus Rampage IV Extreme motherboard

replacing CMOS battery on Asus Rampage IV Extreme motherboard

I am got a computer with Asus Rampage IV Extreme motherboard that will not boot quite frequently sometimes. I have checked that the temperature are not so high and at a decent state. When the computer boots, then I have seen that the clock timing are completely wrong. So, I think that the CMOS battery on my motherboard might be drained. So does anyone know whether after replacing the CMOS battery will fix the booting problem and also the clock problem as well? Thanks.

Re: replacing CMOS battery on Asus Rampage IV Extreme motherboard

Since you dont have high temperatures on your system, then it definitely sounds like you dont have any overheating issues that could cause machine to shut down. However, it is possible that due to bad weather the power that you might be getting at your home should be unstable or fluctuating and therefore you are having some booting issues. Either ways, try to replace the CMOS battery, which will solve the clock timings for you.

So, after replacing the CMOS battery, did the clock in your computer started to show correct timings after you have set it and then restarted your machine couple of times? If it is working for you then surely the battery was dead. Also, what all leds lit up when you try to boot your pc? Can you try to remove all extra peripherals and just try to boot only your computer with RAM, processor, video card?

There might be some electrical problem that is causing the Power Supply to not work properly, which is connected to the motherboard to give enough power. There are different rails of DC voltage that si required by the motherboard. And if the PSU is not able to provide them then you are tend to face the booting problem. Check by connecting the power supply to another machine and see if it gives proper electrical supply or not, if it gives then there might be some electrical problems with your Asus Rampage IV Extreme setup.