Thread: Is it possible to upgrade from Dual Core to Core i3

Is it possible to upgrade from Dual Core to Core i3

Is it possible to upgrade to Core i3 or a better processor directly from Dual Core. I am having a Asus motherboard which has Intel Dual Core cpu. There is a 1GB Nvidia graphic card also. I want to upgrade the cpu so that I can enjoy more benefits here. But I am unable to find any upgrade solutions. I am not so good in understanding computer hardware. I hope to get some working solution here.

Re: Is it possible to upgrade from Dual Core to Core i3

It is not really possible. I think you will also require to buy a new motherboard. Then only it is going to work. And even if you somehow manage to add a new processor on your existing motherboard, then you cannot expect great performance.

It usually depends on your board socket. Now Intel Core i3 is a different kind of processor with different architecture. Can you provide the model number of your motherboard. Just post the model here I can guide you to locate the right cpu. The last Pentium dual core pc that I found was having a LGA 1155 socket. Intel Core i3 also has the same kind of socket but it might not fit on your existing motherboard. You will have to match the hardware configuration here and then only it is going to work. If your motherboard has a support for the latest Intel Core i series processor then only it is going to work. Or else you will need to upgrade the board and the processor also.While you can simply use the same ram and other stuff in the system. If you are going to spend a good amount of upgrades then you stick with Intel Core i5 processor. Which is quiet recommended for gaming system. Also go for a new graphic card. The existing one might not cope with the gaming output. If you add a new motherboard then you will get lots of new feature over existing one.

If you are not sure about the cpu socket then you can find that with the help of tiny utility called as Cpu-z. Just install this in your system and go the processor section where you can find information about the socket.

Don't waste your money on single upgrade. Go for everything. Just buy everything new. Dual core is a very old processor. So will be your board. You cannot add a latest processor on such a old system. It is of no use. For good performance and new features you will have to add new hardware. While if you want to go for cheap budget then you can upgrade the PDC processor. There are some new models available in that. And if you for Core i series then you can just move ahead with all kind of new upgrades. Like buying a mid range board which supports SLI and also gives you great support for overclocking. So that you do not require to keep on going for new kinds of upgrades. There are dedicated boards available for gaming purpose which are far more better that the regular one.

I agreed with Ramona19 and Miguel Reyes..
    if you want to upgrade to intel i core, then it is necessary to upgrade the motherboard also..

i suggest you to buy AMD cpu and gigabyte mob for Gaming PC

Intel cpu and biostar intel chipset mob for general pc