Thread: Is it better to go for apu or cpu/gpu separately

Is it better to go for apu or cpu/gpu separately

I am stuck in a situation where I had to provide a quote to my client who is willing to have system that can be used for video editing. His prime requirement lies mostly towards graphic. But on the same hand he also needs a budget system. Because there will be bulk orders. I saw APU's in the market that offers combo features of processing and dedicated video memory. Over a regular system that works on separate cpu and gpu, apu are more cost effective. But I do not want to compromise in performance.

Re: Is it better to go for apu or cpu/gpu separately

It usually depend on a need. Apu are cost effective solution for day to day work. It does not offer you great video memory, but reasonable. Like Gigabyte E350N. This is a combo motherboard series which comes with Integrated AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics which support many new games. It is not ideal for gaming but good for video editing job.

APU can be effective if you buy the right combination. I think AMD is the only manufacturer in the market which gives you reasonable mid range apu. While Intel has only processor based on different series and performance. AMD offers you a series of apu called as Fusion. Where you can get reasonable processors for better performance. The output is simply better. You can save a lot amount of money over buying different hardware. Rightnow I can only see systems that comes powered by a APU. You cannot buy them separately and add on any motherboard. Those are specialized system. There are no chances of assembling them. Mostly apu are used in laptops. Where there is less space to add a graphic card. On the laptop by adding apu the output can be better for visual apps. While for desktop you will need to locate combo motherboards like E350N. This motherboard is not really high end. It is an entry level motherboard. The processor can be lower than dual core, but due to dedicated onboard memory the output is great. It is also capable of running high end games, but at a very average rate. Not at a high rate. Try to ask your client for buying laptops or notebooks. You can find many reasonable matters there.

Apu is not really great, but they are enough to meet the demand. It is great for mid range work. What video editing type of job you are actually going to do. If it is just associated with using application like Adobe Premiere Pro then APU is great enough.

It is cost effective to go for APU, but they are really hard to upgrade in future. When you recommend traditional system, then it is a bit helpful in terms of modification. Where you get more chances for upgrade. You can simply add number of new things in it whenever needed. While in a APU there are low upgrades available. In future if you go for upgrade that will be more costly. For video editing job I think a Core 2 Duo processor, with 4GB ram and 512MB of video memory is more than enough. That will do the job. In assembled system you can simply keep on adding more ram and also upgrade motherboard processor in future to boost the performance. While in terms of laptop, embedded system and other specialized system upgrades are far more complicated and costly. I will not recommend you to stick with apu here if you are going for multiple pc at the same time.