Thread: USB 3.0 devices are getting recognized as USB 2.0 under windows 8

USB 3.0 devices are getting recognized as USB 2.0 under windows 8

Since upgrading my system to windows 8 USB 3.0 devices connected to my ASUS P877-V Pro motherboard are getting recognized as USB 2.0. I did not had any such issues while running windows 7 on the same. I don’t know what went wrong after installing windows 8, has anyone else faced the same issue or has any idea about it?? If yes then please let me know, I need to fix this as soon as possible.

Re: USB 3.0 devices are getting recognized as USB 2.0 under windows 8

Quite weird, hope you haven’t made any hardware changes in your system. I want to know since upgrading to windows 8 have you tried upgrading your bios?? If not, then download and install the latest version of bios for your board and see if that makes any difference.

There are some people who were facing similar issues with different boards having USB 3.0 ports with Intel chipset. Actually when you install windows 8, default Intel chipset drivers gets installed automatically. However, the default Intel chipset drivers doesn’t seem to be working for every board.
    In order to fix this issue you will have to install latest Intel Chipset Driver manually. I have checked out ASUS site and for your board they have come up with Intel Chipset Driver V9.3.0.1021. Just install it manually and see if your USB 3.0 devices start getting recognized as USB 3.0 rather than USB 2.0.

I had updated the bios after installing windows 8 in my stem, my current bios version is BIOS 1708. After your suggestion I have installed Intel Chipset Driver V9.3.0.1021 but there’s no improvement. My USB 3.0 devices connected to the motherboard are still getting recognized as USB 2.0.
    Is there anything else that I can try out??? I have tweaked about this issue with my friends and they are suggesting me to reinstall windows 8. What will you all suggest???

Have you tried changing Intel xHCI Mode to Enabled instead of Smart Auto??? If you haven’t then restart your system, enter BIOS > Advanced tab > USB Configuration and change Intel xHCI Mode to Enabled. Once you are done with the same boot back in to windows 8 and cross check if the problem has been fixed. I am not sure if that would help but you can surely try it out in such condition.

I have tried setting Intel xHCI Mode to Enabled instead of Smart Auto but that’s not making any difference in my case. I didn’t not had any issue in installing windows 8, don’t know what’s going wrong after installing it. Let me know if there is any other workaround that I can try out further, any further help regarding this issue will be appreciated.

Guys there is something wrong with Windows 8 USB 3.0 drivers, for some unknown reason they are not working for may boards. While looking after a fix for this issue even I have come across many other people complaining about the same thing after installing windows 8 in their system.

There are couple of similar threads on Microsoft answer site but no officials have come up with an effective solution to deal with this issue by now. If you want then you can contact Microsoft and address them everything along with the solution that you have tried so far. If they might be working on some solution then they will let you know about the same.

Guy’s is there any update on this issue??? I have tried reinstalling windows 8 itself but no luck. I have contacted Microsoft and I haven’t got any response from them yet. I am still looking after a fix for this, in case you all get any update on this matter then please let me know.