Thread: Dell Dimension 2400 computer is too slow

Dell Dimension 2400 computer is too slow

HI Tech Arenians

My computer is soo slow sometimes and want your opinnion before i go and buy a new one

Specs
    Dell Dimension 2400
    Intel Celeron 2.4 ghz prossessor
    768-ish mb of ram
    it has windows xp installed on it

the limit for the motherboard is 1 gb of ram
    and no i don't have any info about the motherboard
    although i believe it is from Intel

i have had to reinstall xp about 2-3 times

the only other option i can think of is get a better motherboard

Private messages would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by snacdaws; 03-10-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Re: Dell Dimension 2400 computer is too slow

If you are not sure what motherboard it is then how did you find that it only supports 1 gb of ram? In any case, 768mb of ram is very less and therefore you are getting the slowness. You could try to turn off some services, remove some startup items from msconfig, which will gain a little performance, but it wont be sufficient. Upgrading would be the last option that you can do, however you can try to look at some guides on how to speed up your computer from here - How To Make Your Windows Fast As Never Before

i know because i had a program that told me only the amount of ram supported by the mobo and displayed no other info and it came with the computer when i got it initially and i upgraded the ram to 768-ish ram it had only 256-512 mb of ram.

the computer is about 6-7 years old anyway so that was also an indicator.
    then it messed up and had to re-install windows xp home and the program was gone.

i have no way of finding the program again because it was supposedly unsupported and no more updates have been relesed for that program and i also it had no taskbar so no name of program!!!

I know b/c when i first got it it said when i booted that 1 gb was the max ram allowed and ever since i re-installed it it did not say that ever again no matter how much i try
    i know that it is from intel or dell because i use cpu-z and it can got a little confusing.

if you know of a way to surpass this limit that would be good to let me know

Can you post the make or model number of the motherboard that is shown to you in the CPU-Z software? If the motherboard has a limit of only 1gb of ram then there is nothing you can do much to speed up your computer. The only option left to you would be to upgrade the whole computer hardware. Also, 6-7 years are of old hardware cant be prolonged in this new technology updates these days.

i was just looking at a website on the specs of a dell dimension 2400 and apparently the program and the bios were lying the website says 2 gb of ram and i think if i remember corectly it was ddr3 ram that fits in the ram slots..
    but you can correct me if i am wrong

You still didnt post the make or model number of the motherboard that is diaplayed in the CPU-z software. And by the way, if the computer is 6-7 years old as what you said, then i dont think that it will have support for DDR3 Ram. I think that it was the same memory was introduced in the market in the year 2008 or 2009. So check the model number again to make sure what exactly is its technical specifications.

thanks sorry for not posting the info i had a busy weekend and i will try to post the information A.S.A.P

Here is the info you wanted

it is an attachment

i took a snapshot of the info because it would take too long to write down

sorry you were right it is ddr ram
    Attached Images Attached Images

if you want any other info about my computer i will send you the info. I must keep my privacy so no personal questions!!!!

I think as per the specs of dell 0g1548 model, you have a ddr2 memory support on your board. You can try to open task manager by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL keys and see what all processes are running or consuming too much memory. You could even try to cleanup temporary IE files, cookies, clean the TEMP folder and download some anti-adware software that will clean up your pc further more. Then check if your system boost up to some levels or not.

Quote Originally Posted by simond View Post
    I think as per the specs of dell 0g1548 model, you have a ddr2 memory support on your board. You can try to open task manager by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL keys and see what all processes are running or consuming too much memory. You could even try to cleanup temporary IE files, cookies, clean the TEMP folder and download some anti-adware software that will clean up your pc further more. Then check if your system boost up to some levels or not.
    i have tried that and to no avail but ccleaner does speed it up a little bit and i do regular cleanings and i started this before i posted this thread but at the moment it is of average speed. i have an older computer that is a p4 and it is faster than my celeron pc..
    any answers for that odd occurance???

Well, it could be the amount of programs and games that you might have installed in your computer, which might be slowing down the computer. Also you need to keep some free up space in the hard drive because if it is full then you will again have some problem with slow windows boot. Either ways a upgrade will definitely solve the case.

Quote Originally Posted by appy10 View Post
    Well, it could be the amount of programs and games that you might have installed in your computer, which might be slowing down the computer. Also you need to keep some free up space in the hard drive because if it is full then you will again have some problem with slow windows boot. Either ways a upgrade will definitely solve the case.
    If anything the Celerion PC has less programs

Have you tried to reset the BIOS of your dell system to defaults because there are some dell pc's that have useless setting to slow down the computer to make it compatible with operating systems like Windows 98 or so. Also just check the OS install mode setting in the BIOS and see to it that it is set to off because if it is on then you will certainly get the slow performance on your computer.
    you know you've made it big on here when you have your own imposter

Quote Originally Posted by techman View Post
    Have you tried to reset the BIOS of your dell system to defaults because there are some dell pc's that have useless setting to slow down the computer to make it compatible with operating systems like Windows 98 or so. Also just check the OS install mode setting in the BIOS and see to it that it is set to off because if it is on then you will certainly get the slow performance on your computer.
    no i will try that soon thanks