Thread: Intel i7-2600k overclocking stability with Prime95

Intel i7-2600k overclocking stability with Prime95

I have an Intel i7-2600k processor in my computer and I am trying to overclock it but has been unsuccessful till now. I want my processor to reach the frequency of 4.7 GHz. But every time I reach 4.5 GHz at 1.3 V, my PC crashes. The processor remains stable during the whole overclocking process but fails at 4.5 GHz. Can someone tell me how to get a stable overclocking on Intel i7-2600k?

Re: Intel i7-2600k overclocking stability with Prime95

As you say that Intel i7-2600k processor cannot go over as 4.5 GHz as your computer crashes, I think that you should stop overclocking it. I mean what is the use force overclocking if it is not happening. If you keep forcing the processor to overclock, it might get damaged or not work properly. So it is better to be satisfied with the amount of overclocking that you are getting in your processor. Maybe the motherboard or other peripherals are not supporting the overclocking beyond 4.5 GHz. So it is my suggestion to stop overclocking beyond 4.5 GHz.

When you are overclocking the processor, it is not just the processor that is involved in this process. There is involvement of PSU and motherboard. While overclocking along with the processor, even the motherboard and the PSU needs to provide the resources. If these peripherals are not providing proper support at some point then it can be said that they have reached their end point after which their use cannot be extended. So if you want to overclock the Intel i7-2600k processor beyond 4.5 GHz, you will need more powerful supporting peripherals. You can try to have better PSU or maybe motherboard.

As you are saying that your system loses stability after reaching frequency of 4.5 GHz then it must be the issue regarding stability of the processor. At 4.6 GHz, if the system crashes then it becomes unstable. But on 4.5 GHz it remains stable. After overclocking the peripheral, the main concern is its stability. If you are not getting stable results by overclocking, it is better that you do not proceed. Maybe it is the final point till which it can be overclocked. If you are saying that you want to take the frequency up to 4.7 GHz by looking at the performance of someone else’s PC, then let me tell you that each PC is different and readings can vary a lot accordingly.

If you are saying that you want to take the frequency up to 4.7 GHz by looking at the performance of someone else’s PC, then let me tell you that each PC is different and readings can vary a lot accordingly.
    Actually it is right, while overclocking the readings of the computer differs from machine to machine. If you take a look at readings of other’s computer and try to get the same results, then it will be impossible to get so. Even if you check the readings of the similar two computers with similar peripherals of similar type, then you will get different readings. The readings from other computers should only be used for reference and not to match performance with it. There might be slight difference somewhere or other which will generate large difference. So it is better that you get your own set of reading and stop overclocking where you get the best stability.

Have you checked the temperature of the processor when you try to take it beyond the 4.5 GHz. Maybe it must be rising so high that your computer must not be able to handle it. So check if it is the issue of temperature or not. If yes, then I would suggest you to stop overclocking immediately as high temperature might damage the peripheral beyond repairs. You can try using extra cooling fans and other cooling devices, but then again I am not sure how much it will help you. Also if there is sudden spike in the rise of temperature of the processor, it can prove harmful for the processor.
    you know you've made it big on here when you have your own imposter