Thread: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 still freezing after using 16 GB RAM

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 still freezing after using 16 GB RAM

I have a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 motherboard with me which I have been using from past six months. I had put an 8 GB RAM on it before and yesterday I upgraded the Ram from 8 GB to 16 GB. After upgrading the RAM, the computer started freezing. After starting the computer, it slows down and after 10 to 12 minutes it freezes. The value of vCore is set at 1.22v, DRAM voltage is set to 1.52v and DRAM is set to 1.55v. Can someone tell me what is wrong with the motherboard?

Re: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 still freezing after using 16 GB RAM

From the values that you have posted in your question, it seems that you have locked the DRAM to work only at voltage of 1.55. I suggest that you get into the BIOS settings and change the setting for the voltage of DRAM to auto. Since you are using 16 GB of RAM, there must be requirement for raising the voltage if necessary. But due to the restriction that you have applied on it, it can’t go above 1.55 V. Either you set to auto from DRAM voltage or se it to higher value than 1.55 V. Maybe 1.65 V will help. After raising the voltage for DRAM, you will also need to raise or decrease the voltage for other options to for proper functioning of your computer.

Your problem looks like a problem related to the power supply in your computer. I suggest you to check if the power supply in your computer is proper or not. Maybe after upgrading the total RAM you have, you might also need to upgrade the PSU unit that is installed in your computer. I can’t say for sure that PSU is creating the problems or so on. But you can try using another PSU which is powerful than your current PSU. You can use it for one day and se e if your PC crashes or freezes. If not, it means that it is time you need to buy new PSU to provide extra power needed to extra RAM that you have installed in your system.

Temperature can play an important role in freezing or creating such problems in a computer. I don’t know which region you live in or how the temperature of your region is. But if the ambient temperature is high, it can affect the performance of the computer effectively. The increased amount of RAM must be utilizing more than usual amount of power which must have led to power deprival for the cooling fans. This must have caused the cooling fans to underperform leading to less cooling effect in your system. Maybe this is leading to improper functioning of your computer.

Maybe you can try providing better airflow to the internal parts of your computer. Try keeping the side panels of your computer open and see if the computer freezes or not. Even if the time after which the computer freezes increases, then you can confirm that the problem is related to the heating inside the CPU cabinet. You will need to buy a new PSU and add either an extra cooling fan or maybe you can just buy a more powerful cooling fan for your computer. As you mentioned that this problem started after upgrading the RAM, I am sure that there must be slight involvement of overheating in this case.