Thread: How to boot from DVD or USB flash on the SB EFI upgrade?

How to boot from DVD or USB flash on the SB EFI upgrade?

I have purchased a new SSD and attached it on my Gigabyte motherboard. I tried to install Windows 8 on it and the SSD is meant to run in SB EFI mode. The SB EFI mode of the SSD didn’t accept my bootable DVD neither does it accepts the USB which had the setup files for Windows 8. I am unable to install even single operating system in this SSD. Can someone please tell me how do I make the things work properly so that I can run at least some operating system in my computer?

Re: How to boot from DVD or USB flash on the SB EFI upgrade?

The problem with the SSD is that it is failing to launch the BIOS of your processor. If the BIOS is not launched, you won’t be able to install any operating system in your computer no matter how much you try. If you are using a Sandy Bridge processor, things will become much harder while using a SSD on it. I think that you should email your problem to Gigabyte as only they can tell you how to solve this problem. If even this doesn’t help, you can ask the manufacturers of your SSD to replace it with a hard drive.

Re: How to boot from DVD or USB flash on the SB EFI upgrade?

I think I realize the problem that you are suffering from. The processor must have support for UEFI type of startup which skips the initial screens of launching the BIOS to save the user’s startup time. Also the SSD must have support for it, to add to your woes, you are trying to install Windows 8 which skips the launch state of the processor. You can try the walk around method for this problem. You can install a hard disk in your computer. This will not trigger the UEFI and thus you will get the BIOS menu. Now in BIOS menu enable the port 60/64 to enable the prompt for BIOS in UEFI mode. See if it helps.