Thread: 1.8v memory timings choosing "Auto" to "XMP" profile setting on Intel DH77DF

1.8v memory timings choosing "Auto" to "XMP" profile setting on Intel DH77DF

I am using Intel DH77DF motherboard in my computer and it has three RAM sticks attached ion it. All these RAMs are of different types with different specifications. I am trying to get the RAM to work on frequency of 1600 MHz at power supply of 1.5 V. All these RAMs are of DDR 3 type. To perform this, I accessed the BIOS and under performance section, I checked memory. It was showing the frequency of RAMs as 1333 MHz ay 1.8 V. After seeing such a high voltage, I changed the profile from ‘Auto’ to ‘XMP’. I reduced the voltage, but also had to reduce the frequency. Can someone tell me if the previous voltage were right for the Intel DH77DF motherboard or was it some display bug showing improper values?

Re: 1.8v memory timings choosing "Auto" to "XMP" profile setting on Intel DH77DF

It is obvious that XMP profile needs less voltage thus less power which will generate less amount of heat. I don’t think that it is a matter of panicking as it won’t harm any peripheral. Before you jump to any conclusions, I think you should check the Intel Desktop Utility for the RAM voltage, the power that is being consumed by your system and temperature for the RAM modules. I think that you should check for the system’s stability at different voltage levels. It is better if you go on increasing the power supply by 0.9 V and test the stability. You shouldn’t increase the frequency until you have got the perfect value for voltage where stability is attended. I know you will see many differences in the values. But to achieve the best stability of the system, it is best to have the system in idle status.

Re: 1.8v memory timings choosing "Auto" to "XMP" profile setting on Intel DH77DF

Remember that Intel Desktop Utility won’t show you actual speed and frequency. Instead it will show the nominal values for each attribute of the RAM or any other peripheral. It is suggested that you also use CPU-Z along with Intel Desktop Utility for best results. I too am using Intel DH77DF motherboard and I don’t find such problems. I am running it on the XMP profile with frequency of 1600 MHz and command rate at value of 1T. Also the clock speed is perfect with 9-9-9-24 with tRC of 41. I think it is a bug that is just affecting you motherboard. It is better if you set the values for the RAM manually from the BIOS.

If you think that your BIOS is showing you wrong values for the voltage or any other option and you feel that it might cause some problem, then you can check if everything is right by checking the temperature of the RAM manually. Take a thermometer and check the temperature of the RAMs. If they have temperature of around 60 degree Celsius to 70 degree Celsius, then you will need to take some action. But if the temperature remains till 60 degree Celsius, then everything is fine in your system. I don’t if Intel DH77DF motherboard has settings for RAM voltage, but the motherboard that I have has three different setting, ‘Proposed’, ‘Active’ and ‘Default’. You can switch between them to find which voltage suits your system right.

You can turn in the Fan control and Real Time monitoring to find out the perfect value for the RAM’s voltage. I am sure that you will find good amount of difference in the value that you see in the BIOS and the actual voltage value. Also check the values in different profiles, especially the XMP profiles. They really help to adjust the RAM properly according to the other peripherals of the system. You can also change the fan controller values to have proper voltage for the RAM. Check it for yourself if they help out or not.