Thread: Need help in flashing MSI 990FXA-GD80 bios

Need help in flashing MSI 990FXA-GD80 bios

I have installed MSI 990FXA-GD80 motherboard in my system recently but I don’t know why the board is not getting past code 62. I have heard that flashing the board bios can help me out in this case but I am not aware of that process and I don’t know how to find out the right bios for the board. Is there anyone who can help me out with it???

Re: Need help in flashing MSI 990FXA-GD80 bios

First you will have to check out your board current bios version, to do that go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information. Now you will get a new window for System Summary so just check out for the BIOS Version option, when you will click on it then it will display your board’s current BIOS flash version. Once you are aware of the current bios version you can visit the manufacturer site and download the latest bios from their site. After having the bios downloaded you should close all open programs and simply run the .exe. When the process gets completed then reboot the system. If you are having old system then you will have to set up your own bootable disk to update the BIOS. There are some third party tools that can help you in making a bootable USB thumb drive, blank CD/DVD for updating the bios.

Thanks for the same, I have now updated the bios to the latest version but unfortunately the problem is still there. I mean the system is not able to past code 62. I thought that updating the bios will help me out. Is there anything else that I can try out to get the system working or I have bought a faulty board??

There might be something wrong with the board but before assuming that you should check out the board components. There are possibilities that there might be something wrong with the components like graphic card, ram, cpu and so. If you are having some other working machine around you then you can test them out there and find out if any of them is appearing to be faulty.

If you are having more than one ram in your system then you can test out the ram in your system first, I mean you can try booting the system with single rams one by one and check out if any amongst them is faulty. If you find them to be working fine alone then you can try swapping their slots. Other than this let me know if you are hearing any beep, the beep codes can help in finding out the faulty component. Just check out what I have mentioned and let me know what you get for further help.

Currently I am not having other working machine around me so I won’t be able to check out the components right now. I have tried building the system from the scratch, I have tested out all the connections and have made sure that there is no loose connection and all but even after that the system is not booting properly. After your suggestion I have tried out booting the board with single rams but I am getting the same response for all of them. No matter if I am installing them alone or all together, as far as beep is concerned I am getting one long and two short beeps. Do you know what that means??? Further help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

One long and two short beeps means there is something wrong with the video card or the monitor. Anyways to proceed with the test further you will need some other working machine or monitor to test out your video card or monitor.

You could have tried booting without the graphic card if your board was having an integrated gpu but I don’t think your board has it. so you will have to check out the gpu in other working machine to find out if there is actually something wrong with it or not. If you are having an external monitor then you can try connecting your system to the same and check out if it is booting, best of luck.

So I have narrowed down the cause of the issue, after testing out the card and the ram in my friends machine I found that there is something wrong with the card and not the ram. I don’t know what went wrong with the video card suddenly. It was working fine before without any issues, it seem to have turned faulty after installing the new motherboard. I will get the card checked tomorrow.