Thread: How to report a bug for MSI Z77A-G43 motherboard

How to report a bug for MSI Z77A-G43 motherboard

Hi. My system is having total four fans running on MSI Z77A-G43 mobo. It is a new mobo installed just yesterday. Now the problem i am facing is that my system is only detecting just 2 fans and not all the four. I tried everything i know but still the problem persists as it is. I am not able to understand that what is the problem with this new board and why it is not detecting all the four system fans?

I even contacted a MSI personal but he is also not able to get the exact reason for this, neither he is able to fix it. This is really very annoying and hence i want to report this bug to manufacturers. Can anyone from here tell me how can I file a bug for MSI Z77A-G43 ?

Re: How to report a bug for MSI Z77A-G43 motherboard

I dont know how to report a bug to manufacturers but i do know that if the motherboard is made compatible to only support 2 fans you wont be able to use 4 fans with it anyhow. Did you read the manuals or info the MSI's site regarding Z77A-G43 ? Does it supports 4 fans ? Just checkout it manuals first and later go for reporting bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Battista View Post
    I dont know how to report a bug to manufacturers but i do know that if the motherboard is made compatible to only support 2 fans you wont be able to use 4 fans with it anyhow. Did you read the manuals or info the MSI's site regarding Z77A-G43 ? Does it supports 4 fans ? Just checkout it manuals first and later go for reporting bugs.
    Yes, thats correct. Even i would like to say that better check out motherboard's manual first. Find what the manual says about the fan headers which is having controls and all.

And if you want to report a bug, than there is no special page made for the same on their site. Instead what you can do is simply contact their customer care and tell them about this problem. If it is obvious with the mobo they will let you know the solution, and if it is not the part of this mobo they will consider it is a bug. But before that i will suggest you to better go through the specification for any of the product that you are going to purchase and that will prevent you from getting later sock like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish View Post
    Hi. My system is having total four fans running on MSI Z77A-G43 mobo. It is a new mobo installed just yesterday. Now the problem i am facing is that my system is only detecting just 2 fans and not all the four. I tried everything i know but still the problem persists as it is. I am not able to understand that what is the problem with this new board and why it is not detecting all the four system fans?
    I don’t think this is a bug with MSI Z77A-G43. You must know that it is just the mid-range motherboard and so you cannot expect anything more than this. Detecting just 2 fans is normal with this board and if you want to get your all fans detected than better go with any latest mobo.

Anyway, i would like know is your system made for hardcore gaming or other such kind of work that makes it overheat ? If not than i guess 2 fans are enough to make your system stable, isn't it ? Because i use a desktop just for few games and lots of official work. It is having just 2 fans and that is enough for me. But in your case if you feel that system is getting overheated, you can install some good cooling system in your computer.

Still if you you want to report bug i dont think they will entertain yoiu because it is the normal behavior of MSI Z77A-G43 and not a but.

Well I don’t have any idea about this mobo model, hence will not comment anything about its 4 fan support or other specifications. But if it supports 4 fans but detecting only 2, than I guess you might have made some mistake while installing the same. So, lets try out some troubleshooting, hope we get it solved. I guess there might be some problem with the processor fan connector which is leading to this issue and so you must check it again. In contrast to the fan heatsink, it requires a power and control connection. The processor fan connector is available in three versions. Most of current motherboard is using the 4-pin connector but the 3-pin connector is still in use with the older ones. Check this:

2-pin connector
    This is a simple fan control with two cables. One for the ground (0 V) and the other is for the supply voltage (+12 V). For the speed change, supply voltage can be varied between 0 and 12 V otherwise clocks the supply voltage in microseconds manner (PWM signal).

3-pin connector
    The 3-pin connector is having one pin for every variable supply voltage (up to 12 V), ground (0 V) and the speed signal. The speed varies over the height of the supply voltage of 0 to 12 volts or over the length of the 12-volt pulses (PWM signal). The flowing speed is not in the control. But there is a way to measure the speed and deliver it back. The tachometer signal is therefore the return information from the motherboard. This function monitors the motherboard of the fan. It turns too slowly and then the processor is throttled or turned off completely if necessary.

There is a problem with the clock signal when the fan is controlled by a PWM signal. The speed is determined by a Hall sensor. This only supplies a valid signal when a voltage is applied. In the case of a PWM signal, it complicates the analysis. Since the Hall sensor requires a DC voltage at least in the short term. Hence, sometimes longer pulse phases are combining so that the speed can be measured.

4-pin connector
    With the 4 pin connector usually the speed controller gets caught in the fan itself. It is the PWM signal that informs indirectly via the temperature of the processor. That is the control signal (PWM signal) that receives its own vein. This also means that 4-pin fan connectors are generally PWM fan. This controls the signal and supply voltage which are conducted on separate lines. From the control signal, the information is in the ratio of the low-to high-time of the clock cycle. The high percentage is a percentage. If this is 100%, then there is a direct current. The fan control with 4-pin connector allows a more flexible CPU and system cooling. It is slightly more complicated and is consistently ahead of the fans with electronic control and 4-wire connection.