Thread: AMD Phenom II 1090T with MSI 790GX-G65 will not boot

AMD Phenom II 1090T with MSI 790GX-G65 will not boot

My old motherboard had turned out faulty so I have replaced it with MSI 790GX-G65. The problem that I am facing with the same is that the system is not booting at all no post, no beep. I have bought the new motherboard yesterday and I have installed the previous board components on the same. I have installed an AMD Phenom II 1090T processor on the board. I don’t know what’s wrong but I doubt it to be the processor or the board itself is there anything I can do to check out the same???

Re: AMD Phenom II 1090T with MSI 790GX-G65 will not boot

There are possibilities that the board or the processor might have turned out faulty but then there are other several reasons as well for a system reacting in this way. I just wanted to know that have you inspected the connection you might have made,if yes then you need to check out the below things:
    • If there is no issue with the connection then take out the board from the case and inspect it on a wooden material and see if you are able to find out any short circuit and so.
    • If that’s not an issue then try booting the board after removing components like hard disk, disk drive as well as the video card if your MSI 790GX-G65 is having an integrated video card on it and see if it is booting.
    • If it does not boot then you will have to check out your ram, if you are having multiple ram in your system then you can try booting the system with one ram at a time and see if you are coming across a faulty ram. You can also check out the same rams in some other machine and see if they are working fine there or not. You can do vice versa as well, I mean you can get some other compatible ram from a working machine and try installing it on MSI 790GX-G65. Doing these will definitely help you out to find out if ram is the cause of the issue or not.
    • If ram appears to be working fine on other system then you can try swapping ram slots on MSI 790GX-G65 and check out if they are working out.
    • If it still does not boot then you need to check out the psu, there are possibilities that it might have turned out faulty and won’t be able to power the board properly. So just try using some other working psu and check out if the system is booting properly.
    • Just try out these things and let me know if you are able to find out any faulty component like ram or psu.

I should have mentioned the solutions that I have tried so far, anyways I wanted to share that I have already inspected all the connections, reseated all the components properly. I have not found any instance of short-circuit and so. I have tried booting the system after removing components like hard disk, disk drive as well as video card but the system is just not booting. I have tried checking out the ram in other machine and they are working fine there. I have tested out other ram from other system even they are not helping in booting the system. I have tried using other psu as well and I don’t think that there is any issue with the same as it is able to power the other system without any issues. I think that there is something wrong with the ram slot or either the AMD Phenom II 1090T processor?? What do you think about the same?

See as you have tested out the ram, video card, psu even I think that there is something wrong with the processor or some kind of hardware fault in the board. Just wanted to know that have you tested out your AMD Phenom II 1090T processor in other machine to see if it is working fine there?? If it works then there might be surely some hardware fault in the board. Probably with the ram slots of the board, you can also try using some other compatible processor with your MSI 790GX-G65 to find out if there is any kind of incompatibility issue with AMD Phenom II 1090T and MSI 790GX-G65. Just check it out and post back the result that you get so that I can have a better idea of the issue you are facing and will try to help you with the same.

Hey friend, have you tested out the connection you might have made to the monitor? Are you using an hdmi cable or standard vga cable? If you are using hdmi cable then try using standard vga cable and if you are using a standard vga cable then try using an hdmi cable. I have come across some people who were running in to similar issues where their system was not booting and posting and later they found that the cable was the culprit in their case. I am not very sure whether you might be having the same case but you can give it a try.

I will suggest you to try clearing the cmos and see if it is making you board alive. As your system is giving no post, no beep you the best method of clearing the cmos in this case will be taking out the battery from the board. Just unplug the power cord, take out the battery, wait for some time, plug the power cord again and power on the system and see if the system is booting after that or not. If not then there is surely something wrong with your board and you will have to get it repaired or replaced.

No there is nothing wrong with the cable in my case. I have tried clearing the cmos but it is not making any difference and the system is still not posting. Ive tested out AMD Phenom II 1090T on my other machine and found it to be working there, so I thought there was something wrong with the ram slot of the board but when I tested out intel i3 processor from the other machine on MSI 790GX-G65 then it started booting up fine. Now I am quite sure that there is nothing wrong with the ram and it is due to some kind of incompatibility issue right?? But as far as the specification is concerned the AMD Phenom II 1090T should work fine with MSI 790GX-G65. That’s the reason I am not sure if this is due to some kind of incompatibility issue. Is there anything else that I need to check out?? Any further help regarding the same will be highly appreciated.

I think I can help you out here, I have just checked about the same and have found one mentioning that MSI 790GX-G65 comes with 4.0 BIOS where as the AMD Phenom II 1090T needs 4.1. So here you will have to update the bios of the motherboard to 4.0 or higher. Since your system is not booting at all with AMD Phenom II 1090T you can try using your intel i3 processor and flash the BIOS and after that install AMD Phenom II 1090T. Just make sure that you are installing the latest bios from msi site.

In order to flash the bios you can try following of the below method, you just need to Download the motherboard BIOS from MSI Global website and Nero Burning Rom 6 (Express or Ultra) for burning it to a dvd.
    For upgrading BIOS using a CD-R
    • Put a blank CD-R disc in the disc drive and Launch Nero Express, now click on data and choose Bootable Data Disc and insert the BIOS files onto the compilation sheet. For that just Drag and Drop AFUD4xxx.exe and A7376AMS.150 on to the sheet or click on add and point to the location where the files are located.
    • When you are done until here then Click on Next and use standard boot image and click on Next again and after giving your disc a name click on Burn. Now after the bootable cd is ready you can boot up the system with the same cd after changing the Boot Sequence in the BIOS setup. After that it will boot to the dos prompt so just go to the E: drive and when you are able to see the files then you can start flashing BIOS. You just have to enter D:\> AFUD4234 A7376AMS.150 and then bios flashing process will get started.
    • Once the flash process gets started then just reboot the system and go into bios to load the default settings. Make sure that you are saving the same and then exit and reboot the system again.

For upgrading BIOS using an usb flash drive:
    • First download the motherboard BIOS from MSI Global website along with USB Disk Storage Format Tool and Format your USB flash drive choosing FAT32 as the file system after that close utility and extract BIOS files to the root directory of USB.
    • After that leave the USB flash drive connected to the PC, enter BIOS setup and change the boot order to boot form USB Flash Drive and reboot the system. Now once it boot to DOS, then enter AFUD4281.EXE (Press Spacebar) A7522IMS.820.
    • When the BIOS flash gets completed than reboot your system and load the bios default setting and reboot the system again.