Thread: Asrock Extreme4 Gen3 often freezes and BSOD resuming from sleep

Asrock Extreme4 Gen3 often freezes and BSOD resuming from sleep

Is there any BIOS update for the Asrock Extreme4 Gen3 motherboard with bug fixes?

I think there is a bug in stock BIOS that pre-installed on Asrock Extreme4 Gen3 motherboard. The system will not turn up properly when I try to wake it from the S3 sleep. Whenever I try to wake up from sleep, it freezes and shows BSOD.

It happens every time. The system specs are as follows:
    1. Asrock Extreme4 Gen3 motherboard.
    2. Intel core i5 2500k processor.
    3. Geforce GTX 260
    4. 2 GB RAM.
    5. 500GB HDD

How to solve it? I am thinking that BIOS upgrade is the only solution for this.

Re: Asrock Extreme4 Gen3 often freezes and BSOD resuming from sleep

There have been frequent issues with Asrock Z68 Extreme4 motherboard where users experiencing freezing and BSODs. It seems like ASrock is shipping the faulty motherboard or with buggy BIOS. I really didn’t able to find a solution and I think that you should really look forward for the BIOS update.

Since it is posting properly during the boot and other situation there is nothing to say about Hardware related issue and all. Even the OS has nothing do with it. If it is the OS, you can easily solve it by OS repair utility but a BUG in BIOS can be only solved by the update.

When you wake up the system from the S3 sleep, some components will be able to wake up at an instant of time. It could be a Graphics Card, RAM, or PCIe peripherals or the processor. It happens when its related drivers stopped working and will not able to load during the wake up. When you put the system into sleep mode, the system does into low power state or what we call power saving mode. Some components stops working, like the Graphics, monitor, HDD etc. only few needed components running like RAM.

When you wake up, the motherboard should turn all at once. At this time if any one of the components fail to start, the whole system will freeze and shows BSOD. I assume only 2 components here and that is Graphics card(or integrated one) or HDD. Try re-installing the Graphics driver and also the HDD connector drivers. If there is new update, you can use it also.

If you have a dedicated graphics card installed and it is enabled, you have to remove it and run it with only integrated Graphics. If still not solved, try running in Safe mode.

The BSOD definitely looks like an issue with the video card which you are using. I don’t say that you are using a faulty video card but I assume that there must be either a compatibility issue or the driver related issue. Make sure that the drivers which you have installed the properly working and not corrupted. If it is a very old driver, try to get new one. If the video card needs additional power, you can set it on BIOS. Otherwise just uninstall the driver related to Graphics card and take out the Card and reseat in some other PCI slot. Now turn on the computer and re-install all drivers. It must be solve.