Thread: Which is better among Intel Core i7 CPU or adding a additional ATI HD 7950 GPU

Which is better among Intel Core i7 CPU or adding a additional ATI HD 7950 GPU

Quite confused with my own decision so therefore now I am here to clear my confusion. My title has clearly mentioned the two main things on which I am facing the confusion. I have a i5 2500k processor with me and however currently it’s working well and fine even at 4.0ghz and on other hand I have an ATI 7950 which is also fine but somehow it takes up lots of power which is not acceptable for me at least. Therefore what I am thinking is that I will keep my i5 2500k as it is in the system and go for buying another 7950 so that I can at least cross fire but then I am again worried whether AMD have enough powerful drivers for crossfire or not. Guys help me out what should I do.

Should I stay the existing processor or should I be happy with one 7970? The processor that I am currently having even after overclocking doesn’t heats up at all which shows that it’s still doing great but crossfire is doubting me a lot, what if I do not get a proper driver and stuck in-between the process? Guys to be frank, I can’t afford buying both the things together and I also do not want to stay without either of the thing (processor and graphic card). Help me out, as I said I confused myself with my own thought and ideas. Just let me know what you people prefer.

Re: Which is better among Intel Core i7 CPU or adding a additional ATI HD 7950 GPU

Look there’s no doubt that you have got a good combination of processor and graphic card. I am not getting why you are willing to change or replace either of the thing. Look if you have bought your system brand new with all new configuration then better drop the plan of replacing or switch the parts. Anyways talking about your choices, I must say one thing, you have got a good taste but for your kind information let me tell you that the current processor that you are having is also the best one. Ivy Bridge i7 3770k might show little good improvement especially with respect to the games like Battle Field 3, crysis 2, metro 2033 and also other high quality heavy games. So it’s a good deal if you go with the processor you have chosen. However I am not much familiar with the graphics card so therefore can’t make out whether the selected one is good for you or not.

Re: Which is better among Intel Core i7 CPU or adding a additional ATI HD 7950 GPU

Yeah even I feel the same. I don’t think there’s nothing wrong with your current existing processor. And also I think the one that you have mentioned doesn’t make much difference existing one. In fact the one that you are having i.e. i5 2500k is also possibly able to support all high range game including the ones that has been mentioned above. If you really like to spend more money on you well based system then I think you should go with another graphic card that you mentioned i.e. 7950 as I feel that crossfire is the better option and sure your system will rock after crossfire. Go with what I suggest, your system will rock.

I guess you should proceed with a new processor but remember that the one you have suggested is not an appropriate one for your requirement as I can make out from your thread that you like playing heavy games. Anyways first of all sell out your i5 2500k and then instead of buying i7 3770k go with a i5-3570K. Look first of all the one which I have suggested nowhere generates a much difference. Other than this the best advantage is that when you will sell you i5 2500k, you can then get i5-3570K for a reasonable amount without spending extra amount (that’s the reason I am telling you to sell your i5 2500k processor first).

Independent of the overclocking limitations I think hitting 4.0ghz should be ok for you with Ivy Bridge. If suppose you try to hit 4.2Ghz then surely you might notice a drastic difference at some certain improper parts of the game.

Regarding the graphic card I can only say that crossfire or SLI could be huge risks so better don’t think about it until you are an expert with such things. the only thing I can suggest you with the graphic card is to keep it with you and wait for HD 7990 to come up in the market. Once if it’s out then sell your HD7950 and get buy it or you can also go for HD7970 but please drop the idea of crossfire as I already said it’s a huge risk. Do not get confused, going for a processor is a better option so go with it and wait for the graphic cards that I have mentioned here.

I have something to say, might be my statement would contradict with the others people’s comment but I do not mind at all. upgrading your i5 2500k with i5 3570k is a better option as it is nowhere going to be a costly upgrade for you but remember that this upgrade, performance wise is not going to be as better as cross firing 2xHD7950. I personally prefer crossfire the best than replacing or changing the processor. There’s a drastic difference between a processor replacement and crossfire. Crossfire is the biggest advantage but as already said above, crossfire only if you are an expert with it (its expert’s choice). Improving the heavy games is bit complicated but with crossfire I think you can manage to do it anyways. And if in case crossfire is not your cup of tea, then you can simply go with a single HD7990, its as strong as 2xHD7950. I just wanted to convey you that if you are willing to change your configuration then I think its your graphic cards that is best option to be replaced first and then go with what so ever you want.