Thread: Smoke coming out from motherboard after connecting Corsair HX650

Smoke coming out from motherboard after connecting Corsair HX650

Is it possible for a motherboard getting faulty or defected by a simple replacement of our Corsair HX650? The reason for asking such silly question is that I am one of those facing the same problem. My initial corsair HX520 got bad due to some reason and therefore recently I replaced it with a brand new HX650. I know that I made the connection successfully without making any mistake but then after the connection when I turned on the system as normally, first I found that there was a long beep noise coming out of the machine and then after few seconds suddenly smoke started coming out of the 8 pin connector. It was too scary for me. I got panic and therefore unplugged and removed everything. Please help me out I am really worried about it now because my brother says that the motherboard is badly affected and therefore I will have to get it repaired soon as possible or else replacement is the only fix for the cause, is it true? Please let me know friends and help me out with this trouble.

Re: Smoke coming out from motherboard after connecting Corsair HX650

The first and the foremost things that you need to make sure is that the current PSU you are having i.e. HX650 is exactly the same as the previous one that you replaced. I mean to say the configuration should be the same as the previous PSU, are you sure the HX650 pins are exactly the same as the HX520 pins. Maybe due to some compatibility issue your motherboard is not being able to take or accept the current PSU that you have installed.

Before buying a power supply for a system it is much better to first consult some expert person for the same. PSU plays a huge role in a computer machine and therefore care is always to be taken while installing it into the computer. Anyways I don’t think your motherboard got affected due to beep sound or the smoke but instead I strongly believe that motherboard could have caused such power supply failure issue due to the incompatibility. As you yourself said that the smoke came out from the 8 pins then surely I think it’s the pins that is either burnt or got affected badly.

Did you tried installing the PSU again and check what happens this time? If not then please without worrying try it again and let me know whether you are getting the same result. Also if in case you previous HX520 is bit fine then I would request you to try connecting it to the machine and see the difference with this model. Hope you will perform all the suggestion and let me the result, waiting for your reply.

Thanks a lot for your involvement and suggestion my friend, yes I did tried all the suggestion that you told me to do and now I am here with the results. But first of all I would like to tell something the comparison of my previous PSU and the current PSU (Corsair HX520 and Corsair HX650). I must be week with computer hardware but however I am a keen observer and very dedicated while purchasing any hardware parts. While going for another model I made sure that the HX650 is very similar to HX520 in all aspect and therefore I went for buying it. While connecting this PSU and also I also saw that this model had 24 pin and 8 pin sockets which was exactly the same of HX520.

After your suggestion and inspiration I decided to try this problematic PSU again with my machine and in fact I did it. Again I ended up getting the same result of a long beep and smokes coming out of 8 pins connector. Therefore suddenly I unplugged the power cord and then removed everything. I examined the cord, the connector, socket and the pins believing that either of them would have got damaged but guess what? Nothing happened to the socket or the pins, everything was fine. Now I doubt that the smoke might be coming out from the capacitor but seems like even the capacitor is fine. I really got confused, not getting from where exactly the smoke is coming neither I am getting the part that is damaged. My old HX520 had problem with turning on the system (the system used to turn on only for few seconds). Anyways as according to your suggestion I tried out this PSU too and found that it’s still working the same as previous but not creating any beep sound or smoke like HX650.

Additionally, I also tried out the same HX650 PSU again but this time I connected it only to the case fan and fortunately it worked well, quite strange. As I am researching, more and more twists are coming into the problem. Please help me out in understanding this problem.

My friend, don’t give HX650 a try again and again as it might prove dangerous and risky for your machine’s other parts and components. However it has been always said that a PSU never harms or damages any components of a system as it is meant to not release the voltage higher than what is expected. But on the other hand it is also said that a faulty part or component could try to get more voltage if its not proper or malfunctioning. This faulty component requests for higher current and if unfortunately the PSU fulfills the components request then it is bound to create the problem with that component. That faulty part could probably get heat up which will end up damaging it all the way entirely. Now I guess this is what exactly going around into your system. I think you new PSU is unable to manage and supply the current properly which is somehow causing a component to burn due to which smokes are being encountered by you.

Yeah I do agree with that. PSU sometimes becomes the main reason for heating up and burning the components. Technically speaking, sometimes what happens is the PSU completely fails to get the appropriate amount of current that is needed by a part of the computer system. Obviously different components needs different amount of current like the fast running fan and more GPU load and etc. It also fails to differentiate between the legit current demand and non-legit current demand which results in burning and damaging the hardware badly.

Your brother is somewhat correct in my opinion but I guess he failed to interpret his statement properly. Your motherboard must be having some problem. What happens is sometimes the board tends to create and produce some local voltages and capacitor is the one that is actually meant for the same purpose. So I think your motherboard’s internal power supply would have been failed. If this I really the case then obviously smokes are bound to generate but never mind, at least you are still not the victim of sparks generating after the smoke.

Rather than blaming the PSU check for your motherboard and repair it if there’s any problem with it. After reading out the entire thread I can only make out that your board is somewhere faulty so better get it repaired first. May I know which brand your motherboard belongs too? Once you let me know the brand name of your product I will help you out with providing the contact details of Support Center so that you can easily repair or replace your board as according to the situation and condition of it. I am well aware of the same issue twice and both the time I found that motherboard was the main culprit. Who else than me is better for suggesting you about this issue? do as I say and you are out of the trouble.