Thread: Difference between Dual-Core and Quad-core

Difference between Dual-Core and Quad-core

I am going to assemble a PC for me. I have already decided all the hardware that I am going to use with it but the only thing that I am not able to decide is the processor. I was looking for that on web confused about Dual-Core and Quad-core processors. I don’t have earlier experience with computer build and this is going to be my first assembled PC. Can someone please explain me in detail that what is the main difference between the Dual-Core and Quad-core processors and how does it affect the processing of our computer?

Re: Difference between Dual-Core and Quad-core

Ok, I am posting with a short description about single core, dual core and Quad-core. I hope, it will be helpful to you to understand the difference between them and you will be able to decide that which one is suitable for you.

Single Core

Let's talk about the single-core or single processor of a processing core. They are good while you're not using high-performance applications. These processors are great for surfing the internet, listening to music and editing Word, PowerPoint, etc... You can run fewer programs simultaneously. This is not good for multitasking.

jamiejohn

They are best when large applications and games. There are most of the games which is only having support for dual core. Dual core CPU is having two complete execution cores. It is having a single processor chip on which they integrate the two processors along with their caches as well as cache controllers. If you want to do multitasking then it is always recommended to make use of the dual core processor. It gives good performance because there are two independent cores which provide independent interface for the bus. It boost the processing speed of the computer because two cores are working simultaneously to execute each separate program.

Quad-core

This is the combination of two Dual Core processors which are integrated into a single chip. Dual core processor is already having two separate cores and so with quad core processor, we will be having total 4 separate cores. But there is one limitation to this, as core 1 and core 2 are sharing the same memory cache and core 3 and 4 shared the same memory cache. If for some processing, core 1 and 2 are required to communicate with the core 3 and 4 then it is to be done with the external communication and this is executed normally with the front side bus.