Thread: Unable to install 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaw RAM on Asus X58 mobo

Unable to install 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaw RAM on Asus X58 mobo

Earlier, I was having 8 GB of RAM (2 x 4 GB) in my computer but the system was a bit slow for me. This is because I have to run some heavy applications on that so I decided to raise the memory. One of my friends recommended me to use 16 GB of RAM and it will work smoothly. So I bought 2 x 4 GB (8 GB) of G.Skill Ripjaw RAM. I am having the ASUS X58 Motherboard and when I connected all four memory modules in my computer and booted the system then it was only showing me 8 GB of RAM available. I went to the BIOS and that is also showing me only 8 GB available. I have Windows 7 installed on my computer. Please tell me what could be the reason for this issue. Thank you.

Re: Unable to install 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaw RAM on Asus X58 mobo

Have you tried running the Memtest86. Memtest86 is nothing but the real mode memory tester and this will help you to detect the errors in the RAM. This tool writes data in many formats in all memory locations and after that it reads that back. This helps to verify that the data read is same as the data written on that. Memtest86 is having a total of two kind of downloads. One of them is the bootable CD (.iso) and another one is the bootable floppy disk. There is also one USB version of this available that you can use in case there is any problem with the CD or Floppy versions.

As you have mentioned that you are having 4 memory modules in your computer, so first of all remove all of them from the board and only plug one module into the primary slot. After that you can run this test and swap that with another module and test all the RAM module in the same way. Make sure that you turn off your computer and disconnect your computer before swapping the RAM. If there is any problem with the RAM module then you will get instructions about that on-screen. So if you get any error with any of the RAM stick then there are two possibilities for that. Either the RAM module is faulty otherwise that is incompatible with the system. If that does not give you any error with any of the memory then you can insert all the RAM memory into the board together and then try to run the test again. If it does not give you any kind of error then there is also possibility that problem is with the RAM slot. This may be because of DUST or something else.

I think that the two RAM modules that you have bought newly are different that the two RAM that you are already having in your computer. In order to have them working together, they must be of the same type in all the aspects. So check for the specifications. Other than this, you can also try by switching the memory slots and see if that makes any difference.

Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit Windows 7 in your computer? I am asking this because they both are having different limits for the RAM. Anyways, you can take the Ubuntu live CD and boot from that. See if that is detecting all the RAM that you are having on the board. If that detects all the RAM then it will ensure that the problem is with the operating system and not with the RAM module/slots. If you are having Windows 7 32 bit then that can only support RAM up to 4 GB but if you are having more than 4 GB of RAM module then you can make use of the Windows 7 64 bit. Install the 64 bit version of the Windows 7 in your computer and you will get all memory modules detected on your pc.

If the BIOS is outdated or corrupted then that might not detect the RAM modules properly and that will show you wrong information. So it is important to do the BIOS update to the latest. I am not very sure that this will solve the problem but it is worth to give it a try. Please reply if this is not helpful to you. Good Luck!!!