Thread: Cannot boot from DVD on Asus P8P67 DELUXE for fresh installation

Cannot boot from DVD on Asus P8P67 DELUXE for fresh installation

I have recently installed Asus P8P67 DELUXE in my system as my previous board has turned out faulty and now I am willing to install windows 7 on the same. The problem that I am facing here is that when I am trying to install this operating system using the DVD the system is not booting. I have found that the DVD is spinning but the boot process stops responding at the flashing cursor. The BIOS is said to give first Boot preference to dvd so I don’t think that there should be any issue as such. I have checked out the dvd in other system and it is booting up fine. I don’t know why is it not working on my system. What can be the possible cause of this issue? Is there anything that I can try out here for installing the operating system on my system?? Any suggestions?

Re: Cannot boot from DVD on Asus P8P67 DELUXE for fresh installation

Is the dvd drive detected in the BIOS. I know that you are not able to check out the same for now as the windows is not booting but I think that you should try clearing the cmos first. You should also check out the SATA cables and make sure that they are connected properly. For clearing the bios unplug the power cord and remove the battery from the motherboard and after waiting for some time install it again and power up the system and see if you are able to enter the bios. Choose the optoin load optimized defaults and hit enter. When you are done with the same then insert the dvd and see if the system is booting up properly or not.

So now I have tried clearing the bios and I am able to enter the bios. I have found that the BIOS is detecting the dvd drive and showing it as one of my bootable devices. In my case the DVD is connected to one 3 Gb SATA ports. I don’t think that there is anything wrong with the SATA connection now as the dvd drive is getting recognized. The issue is still the same, I have tried inserting the dvd and booting the machine but I am getting the same response. The boot process is not responding after flashing cursor. I am really running out of ideas now. I am just not able to track out the cause of this issue. I have tried using dvd of windows xp as well but unfortunately I am getting the same response. Is there anything else that I need to check out to find out the cause of the issue?

Your issue is appearing to be weird now. I mean if the dvd drive is getting recognized by the bios then why isn’t it reading the dvd properly. I still think that there is something wrong with the dvd drive in your case. I don’t suspect anything else to be the cause of the issue. So if it is possible for you to arrange another dvd drive then you can connect the same to your system and check out if it is working out properly. If it works then you know who is the culprit in your case. The dvd drive just need proper power supply for getting detected in the bios but if there might be some issue that. I am not very sure but I think that there is something wrong with the dvd drive lens because of which it is not able to read the windows 7 dvd properly. Anyways to conform the same just cross check your system to other dvd drive and let me know what you get.

Since you have mentioned that you are now able to enter the bios without any issues. I will suggest you to better change the boot order and try to installl windows 7 by downloading and loading its iso file on a hard drive or an usb drive. You should not have any issues in installing the operating system that way. If you are not able to arrange another dvd drive for the testing purpose you can then also try to install the operating system. Or usb stick will the best option for you here. If you have another dvd drive then you can try out what has been suggested to you to narrow down the cause of the issue in your case. If you are now aware of installing windows using usb stick then you can refer to the below threads for the same.

Boot Your Windows PC Using USB Stick As a Key

I have checked about the same and have found some people who were facing similar issues is due to Intel OROM. If you are not aware of the same then I will like to inform because of Intel OROM issue the dvd drive does not work when the SATA Option is set to some other mode and it should be set to AHCI. As you are not having any issues in entering in the bios anymore I will suggest you to better enter the bios and set the SATA Option to AHCI and see if the issue is getting solved or not. There are possibilities that it might be due to a faulty dvd drive as explained by the other users here but I think you can test out what I have mentioned. It will just take few minutes.

Hey thanks for the same I have now tested out my system with other dvd drive that I had taken out another one from a working machine and now the system is booting up fine with the dvd. I am not sure if there is something wrong with the lens of the dvd drive as you have mentioned but I will get it checked from a nearby hardware store and will see what was wrong with it.