Thread: Intel DX58OG randomly freezes with 24GB ram

Intel DX58OG randomly freezes with 24GB ram

My system specification is as followed:
    • Intel DX58OG
    • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU
    • 8 gb ram
    • GeForce 8600 GT
    • Enermax 800 Watt

The problem that I am facing is that the system freezes frequently even when I am not running anything and just turning it on, I am not able to move the mouse and even the keys does not work and I have to force shutdown the machine, I have checked out the Intel Desktop Utility and it is reporting the RAM-Speed with 1419 MHz but then when I checked out the bios then it is saying something different, it says 1066 MHz, in my case the ram are the Samsung one which have been listed in the Hardware Compatibility Guide of the Intel, I have checked out the Temperature and it is appearing to be normal and even the processor is not going over 63 °C, I have tried raising the RAm voltage from 1,5 to 1,6 but then it is not making any difference in my case and the freezing issue still exists, is there anything I can try for getting rid of the freezing??

Re: Intel DX58OG randomly freezes with 24GB ram

In that case I will like to inform you that this is an Microsoft Windows issue and not a Intel hardware issue, if you want then you can check out the trouble shooting method that has been mentioned in the below article and see if you are able to get any help from the same:
    Computer stops responding when you run an application that uses the Windows Filtering Platform API in Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, or Windows Vista
    In my case even I have faced freezing issues and it appeared to be because of some kind of confliction going between programs which utilize the Windows Filtering Platform (WFP), they were ESET Smart Security 5 and network security software in my case but then I was able to get rid of the freezing issue by loading the hotfix and configuring the network security settings and making sure that they are set to default, in order to get rid of the issue you will have to inspect your system and find out the program that might be utilizing Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) other than this also check out the programs settings to find out if there are some conflicts, just check it out and then try out what I did and see if the issue is getting solved or not. If you have any further queries after trying out the mentioned things then let me know I will try to help you out further with it.

Yes you can try out the above solution very well but then I just wanted to add that for determining the programs utilizing Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) you can check out application, startup and even the log files in event viewer, if you are not able to track out the same then you can also contact the manufacturers of the programs to find out if they utilize Windows Filtering Platform (WFP), this will help you out in narrowing down the list if the programs for the inspection, I also wanted to add that there is a windows diagnostic tool called windows performance monitor using which you will be able to set up monitoring and logging but then frankly speaking I am not that aware of the same tool I have just read some information about then so you can check out for it to get more details.

I have tried out applying the hotfix but then it is not making and the system is still freezing, I don’t think that the hotfix is making any difference in my case, I don’t think that my issue is related to the hotfix or so, I have tried finding out the programs that might be using Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) in my system by opening a thread on the manufacturer forum and I am waiting for their response, is there anything else that I can try out??? I have asked the same query in other forums as well and a number of people have simply suggested me to reinstall the windows, I don’t have an issue in try that as well but then I just wanted to know if there is any workaround that I can try out before carrying out the reinstallation process.

Applying the hotfix has not solved out the freezing issue in my case as well but then as I have already mentioned I have loaded the hotfix and have configured the network security settings of the Internet security program as well as ESET Smart Security 5 in my case to default, since I have done that, I have not yet faced the same freezing issue, the hotfix is just a subject for testing, the cause of the issue is with the program using Windows Filtering Platform (WFP), since you have mentioned that you have been trying out find out the program utilizing Windows Filtering Platform (WFP), I just wanted to know if you have found any, if you are not that aware of the same then you can disable or delete the programs that you suspect and see if it is making any difference, if you want then you can also try out just uninstalling and then reinstalling the programs that you suspect to be using WFP, as I have already mentioned I am quite sure that this is an Microsoft Windows issue and not a Intel hardware issue. You should also test out the memory by running Memtest86+,if the memory is passing the test then the freezing is just because of the WFP.

In that case I will like to inform you that I have ran the Memtest86+ for checking out the memory modules and they have passed the test so now I am sure that there is nothing wrong with them, as far as the freezing is concerned I have gone through the article that you have mentioned in your very first post and have found that even though the system freeze it's still pingable but then in my case when I am trying to do the same when the system freezes then I am not getting any response, I don’t think that the issue is with the programs using Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) but then it is something else, I am just not able to track out the cause of the same, is there anything else that I need to check out or some workaround that I can try out for getting rid of this issue?? Any further help regarding the same will be highly appreciated.

There are possibilities that there might be something else wrong in your case but then as I have mentioned that I was facing the same freezing issue and the cause of the issue were Internet security software, ESET Smart Security 5 and I have mentioned what I did for solving out the issue as well, if you don’t think that you are not having issue with the programs utilizing Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) then you can try out the last solution that you have mentioned yourself and it is reinstalling windows, if reinstalling the windows is not solving the issue then you might be having Intel hardware issue that’s all I can say. Just try out the reinstallation of the windows and then let me know the response you are getting for further help.