Thread: How can I do BIOS dumping?

How can I do BIOS dumping?

Hello, I want to extract the live version of the BIOS that I am using so that I will be able compare that with the version taken as of a BIOS programmer used for the same chip. I want to do this because I wish to prove that the machine modifies values within the BIOS code while the machine is running and when that is communicating with the additional hardware connected. Is there someone who knows any article or the journal which is supporting this theory? If you know anything that could be helpful for me then please let me know that. I will be thankful for all the replies. I am expecting some quick replies on this topic.

Re: How can I do BIOS dumping?

As far as I know that there is just one way to do this and that is from the DMI. DMI stands for Desktop Management Interface. The Desktop Management Interface (DMI) is one of the most popular instruments in the management of hardware and software components. We explain the features and benefits of the interface in detail. In the network environment, the systems may end with the equipment like PCs, network cards, printers. This is quickly becoming the nightmare scenario, because of different devices to implement into an existing corporate network often leads to problems in configuration, performance monitoring, troubleshooting and safety management. This results in enormous cost of ownership (TCO) due to the high workload of the administrator. This is where a DMI supportive. The DMI technology is a tool for building user-friendly, low-maintenance products. It provides the user with all the manufacturer of the predefined data management component. A DMI-enabled device or application that can inform the relevant information requirements and a higher-level management software, and make available to the user.

This works regardless of protocols and should be universally applicable to the request of the initiators. In addition, there is an open standard, which guarantees all manufacturers with a common base for local management and maintenance of their hardware and software. In addition, the individual components for configuration and maintenance via RPC network access (from DMI 2.0) are addressed. The conventional network wizard, called agents, are based on SNMP and cannot fulfill these tasks. Because they are attached to fixed structures and protocol originally designed for the "Internet Management"

You can also make use of the System Management BIOS (SMBIOS). The System Management BIOS (SMBIOS) Reference Specification describes how motherboard and system manufacturers, management information regarding products within a uniform format. The BIOS management system is a balanced and integrated planning system (balanced planning), which integrates the design areas of organization, personnel and costs on the basis of uniform standards to each other. The advantages of the BIOS management system, for example,
    • Planning methods approved by the BMI standard
    • Reduced planning costs by reference blocks
    • Integrated software support
    • Unique collection of organizational data
    • Lower training costs and easy updating
    • Secure audit (regulators and review agencies) results

I would like to tell you that there is just one place where the data get changed and that is where it is designed for changing to change the information regarding the associated hardware like USB devices. Other than this, there is no option that the code will change. I am still not able to understand that how you are going to prove that. Anyways, you can make use of whatever you want. I am also excited to see that if this is really true or not. I am waiting for your next post. So good Luck for you…

Quote Originally Posted by Battista View Post
    I would like to tell you that there is just one place where the data get changed and that is where it is designed for changing to change the information regarding the associated hardware like USB devices. Other than this, there is no option that the code will change. I am still not able to understand that how you are going to prove that. Anyways, you can make use of whatever you want. I am also excited to see that if this is really true or not. I am waiting for your next post. So good Luck for you…
    Like you mentioned that the area where the information regarding the hardware is saved is changing whenever there is any change in hardware, I just wanted to identify this. So change is possible, let it be just one value but a change is a change. I am having one application which is able to dump the BIOS and other than this, I am also having one BIOS programmer therefore I am able to view the code devoid of interacting through other hardware. I only wanted to get that academic reference which says that the values get changed under the BIOS while computer is running. Anyways, thank you so much for the reply and yes, if you have any further information on this then please let me know that. Thank you so much again!!!

Most of the information is easily found by doing some research on google about the memory card exploit (aka Independence Exploit), in no event will insert any reference to these sites and things about modchips etc. Before starting you need a system (a mod chip for example) to load the code on your ps2. you can use a handy feature VMware Which lets you specify a custom BIOS for a virtual machine inside its vmx file. Just add this line to the vmx file of the machine you want a custom BIOS for and place the rom file in the proper folder:

bios440.filename = "bios.rom"