Thread: How can I install 32GB RAM on Gigabyte Z68AP-D3?

How can I install 32GB RAM on Gigabyte Z68AP-D3?

well recently I have purchased Gigabyte Z68AP-D3. I am having Intel Core i7 2600 3.40GHz. my system is powered by Windows 7 x64. Already my system was having 8GB RAM. It were couple of 4GB Kingston 1333 modules. Now I am looking to replace by 8GB RAM with Corsair 32GB (4 x 8GB) 1600MHz DDR3 CL10 Vengeance. Before I do that I wanted to confirm compatibility of the same. Would this particular RAM compatible with motherboard which I am having? Let me know if you have installed done this particular thing. any help to meet the requirement of mine will be appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

re: How can I install 32GB RAM on Gigabyte Z68AP-D3?

According to manual this particular motherboard is having support for 32GB RAM. So I don’t think so there will be any issue. Also the memory which you are looking to get seems to be compatible and stable with most of the motherboards available in the market. I think you will need to increase the memory voltage to 1.5v to 1.55v or something. Another thing which you wanted to increase which is QPI/Vtt voltage. You should take care of the thing that there should be difference of 0.5v between both. In simple term I would say if DRAM voltage is around 1.65v for eg than you should QPI/Vtt voltage around 1.15v. So take care of the thing which I have mentioned over here. in case it wont work you than you might get BSOD on your system or system could become unstable or even it could not boot at all. so let me know whether you are able to make the thing working for you or not.

I installed the 32GB RAM on my system after going through the post of yours. however after installing RAM I noticed that system of mine was not booting at all. when I went to BIOS it was showing 32768 MB of memory. I set XMP to Enabled (Profile1) and memory frequency was 1600. But system did not boot even after disabling the same there was same result. System Memory Profile (SPD) was set to Auto. I don’t know whether I am missing something. Any useful information to resolve the issue of mine will be appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Looking at the situation I am suggesting that you should try to clear CMOS. You can do that by using below mentioned instruction.
    First of all you should remove Power Cable from main power supply and press and hold power button for several seconds so that it would drain residual energy from PSU capacitors.
    • After that you should remove batter from the motherboards at least for hour or two.
    • Now you have to reconnect with main power supply and boot your computer.
    • Enter into BIOS setup by pressing Del key from keyboard and simply load Optimised BIOS Defaults.
    • You can also make any possible changes in the BIOS which could you think. Such as disable floppy drive and full screen logo. Finally press F10 so that you can save and exit.
    • In case it does not work for you than you should get into BIOS setup again and look for Memory settings. Here you should set timing and voltage manually. Default voltage for RAM is 1.5v and you can set to 1.55v. if still there is no change in the situation then you can set voltage to 1.6v.

Thanks a lot for the assistance. I tried all the above mentioned steps which you had mentioned in your post. I removed main power cable and motherboard battery. Also I load Optimised BIOS Defaults. Well I am using SATA hard drive so that set IDE controllers to None. Once I completed with all these things I tried to boot Windows and it was not able to detect my hard drive and system was not booting at all. I am getting DISK BOOT FAILURE error message on my system. now I am totally clueless. Let me know if you are having any useful information to resolve this particular issue. any help will be great appreciated again. Many thanks in advance.

First of all I wanted tell you that you should remove memory stick leaving the DDR3_1 slot. It supposed to be a whit slot which is quite away from CPU. Now try to boot your system and see whether it helps you out. Another thing which I wanted to point out over here is that you have set wrong BIOS AHCI/IDE or could be possible that you have not set hard disk boot priority properly. you have to set your system to get which drive should be boot first. You can give a try that by using below mentioned information.
    1. First of all get into BIOS setup by pressing Del key.
    2. No go for Standard CMOS and set IDE Channel 0 Master to Auto and Access Mode should be set to Auto.
    3. Channel 0 Slave should be set to ATAPI iHAS124 C.
    4. From Advanced BIOS you have to set HDD Boot Priority to 1 Ch0: ST31000524AS
    5. Finally set Quick Boot to Enabled.
    6. Once you have done you should save the settings which you have made and exit.

Well I managed to boot my system partially after going through all the instructions. I managed to get Recovery mode at the time of Starting up Windows. But it did not helped me at all. after having some much issue I am really frustrated and I am looking to exact solution. Can you tell me what should I do????? Let me know if I can get whether motherboard or RAM module which I have installed on my system is broken any mean. Please help me out.

Could be possible that one or more CPU pins might be bent on your motherboard CPU socket. In order to get the same you have to remove your CPU.
    • You should take all necessary anti-static precautions.
    • Now remove heatsink and fan. It should remove thermal paste by twisting motion. after that remove CPU by having care of physically and electrically.
    • After that you have to scrutinize your socket if you are having any Pin.
    • Also you should have a look on the bottom of CPU so that you can see Mark over there. in case marks are missing then possibly pins are bent and it could be root cause of the problem.
    • Before you are supposed to place CPU on your motherboard again you should remove renaming of old thermal paste and from heatsink as well. now you have to apply small amount of thermal paste at the center of the processor.
    • We know that motherboards are having warranty of three years irrespective of cards or ram modules which are installed on it.