• Asrock P67 Extreme4 (B3) with 2.10 bios
    • Intel core i7
    • Total 8GB RAM from A-Data Gaming series
    • Gigabyte HD5850
    • 1TB Caviar Blue

The memory modules are as follows:
    • 2x2GB A-Data AX3U1600GC2G9-DG2 1600Mhz CL9
    • 2x4GB A-Data AX3U1600GC4G9-2G 1600Mhz CL9

The first set RAM modules are installed on white slots and the second one in blue. When the computer boots, the system shows BSOD. It randomly happens when playing games or simply using internet. For that reason I have unplugged all the RAM modules and installed only new ones in White. Now the system boots fine and no BSOD. Now installed only one old RAM on blue slot to check with memtest but I couldn’t able to run memtest via USB Stick. The thing is all memory modules are on Memory Support List. I have installed Memtest86+ V4.20 on USB flash drive. The BIOS also latest.

Re: Asrock P67 Extreme4 (B3) won't run memtest via USB

First of all make sure that your BIOS is set to boot from USB devices. If not, you may need to change the boot order. You can get many tools and utilities to create a bootable USB thumbdrive. Using that tool, copy the memtest installer and run the process required by the tool. Now try to boot from the USB stick. If still a problem and if you are using Windows 7, then just make sure that you have formatted to FAT. Also depending on the OS you use you can choose any format but FAT is best because it can be readable by DOS also.

I think that I have found a solution for your problem. While installing the memory modules on the motherboard you need to be very careful about the slots. Depending the type and size of the memory module you have put on the motherboard. Make sure that 2 modules with same size and type reside in a single bank (that means group of slots with same color). One more important thing is large amount sticks have to be installed on in "primary" slots and smaller (2gb) in secondary slots. For more information, you can refer motherboard manual. I have followed the same and there was no bsod. Vdimm should be 1.65 if you are using a SandyBridge processor and also set the proper xmp profile in bios. For USB problem with memtest, see if usb legacy has been disabled in BIOS.

I don’t know whether you can actually boot from the USB drive or not. If not, then there are several utilities to make the USB as a boot device. By using those tools format a drive with a DOS boot image. I hope that you know how to find boot images and formatters. After this load Memetest in it. In order to automatically run memtest, you have to create a textfile on the USB drive. Open a notepad and in the first line simply put "memtest.exe” ( without Quotes ) and save the file as AUTOEXEC.BAT. That’s it.

Do you have any other files on that USB disk? It would be better to remove or wipe out all and put only memtest files for now. If there are other files, then they might prevent the stick booting from it. However there is a good tool called HP USB Disk Storage Format tool. I assume that it is a good place to start now. As far as I know that this tool works will all models and all range of USB flash drives.