Thread: Connect USB 3.0 front case panel header to motherboard w/o a header?

Connect USB 3.0 front case panel header to motherboard w/o a header?

Recently I have got a simply panel for the front case. The panel contains USB 3.0 ports. You can connect to the motherboard’s internal usb 3.0 header easily and attach to the front panel of the case. But the problem there is no such compatible header on my motherboard and also I couldn’t able to get a PCI-e card with such headers. Is there any other way? Is it possible to convert the internal header?

Re: Connect USB 3.0 front case panel header to motherboard w/o a header?

If your motherboard does not come with internal header for USB 3.0 then you have to find an alternative. Either you have to get PCIe card or buy an extension cable to connect it. My best solution is to get USB 3.0 extension cables and try to bring them to front of the case. You cannot connect the panel’s internal header to an external cable and it will not work also unless it a hub which you have bought.

Everyone know that USB 3.0 on the motherboard is a new thing for most users. Only modern motherboard comes with this feature. Even if you get USB 3.0 ports on the motherboard, it lacks with internal header for the expansion panel. But some cases contain a long USB cord which you can use to connect to the front panel ports. If you have a PCI-e 1X slot, there's SIIG DP SuperSpeed USB 3.0 2-Port PCIe Host Adapter, Spare Low Profile Bracket, with an internal port as well as an external one. Here you can connect the header but I think you will need extra cable to reach that position or length.

Antec's revealed features of two new cases which contains two USB 3.0 front-panel ports rather than USB 2.0 ports. This USB 3.0 connected via standard 2-port USB 3.0 front-panel header to the motherboard. If your motherboard doesn’t come with USB 3.0 front-panel headers, then this case is useless. But some other manufacturers bundled USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 front-panel adapters so that you can easily connect the USB 3.0 front-panel to the USB 2.0 headers on the motherboard if you don’t have USB 3.0 one. So customers requested Antec to produce a similar cross compatible header for front panel. I don’t know when they are going to launch this but company promised it as very soon.

In your case I don’t think that you have any solution other than purchasing a USB 3.0 PCI card so that you can connect additional ports. Convertible cables will not get you more with this and you may get speed and performance problem.