Thread: Need help in Recurring ATAPI Error 9 and SATA boot

Need help in Recurring ATAPI Error 9 and SATA boot

My system specifications are as followed:
    • My PC Config: Intel Core2Duo 1.86ghz
    • 2GB DDR2 RAM, Windows XP Prof SP3
    • Samsung 80GB IDE HDD, Seagate 320GB IDE HDD
    • IDE DVD Drive

The problem that I am facing with the same is that the Event Manager in my case keeps reporting me about the below things:
    This seems to be the one that is starting all the issue, Source ATAPI event 9 "The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort2, did not respond within the timeout period."
    I have also started receiving error from source DISK Event ID 51 for the first time saying "An error was detected on device Device\HardDisk1\D during a paging operation."’
    When I boot the machine then I get -Event ID 7000 Service Control Manager "The NPVR Recording service failed to start due to the following error: The service cannot find the specified file"
    I don’t have much idea about the same but then the above things are not allowing the system to boot properly as they are switching the PC to the PIO mode, so is there anyone who can help me out in getting rid of this error messages??

Re: Need help in Recurring ATAPI Error 9 and SATA boot

Just try out the below possible solutions and then post back the result that you get for them, so that I can have a better idea of the issue that you are facing and will try to help you with the same:
    • Just try switching Primary IDE channel to PIO mode and after that uninstall that channel and then switch back to the UltraDMA 5
    • Try disconnecting the IDE DVD Drive from the PSU along with the IDE Cable
    • You can also try out modifying the registry and for that you can refer to the below link as well.

Just try these out and then let me know what you get.

Hey thanks for that but then I have tried out the solution that has been mentioned above but then they are not helping out, anyways I just wanted to add that I am not having much idea about the IDE Master and Slave thing but then I have checked out the manual of the motherboard and the setting that has been shown there is not making any difference, it is saying "connect black to Master and Grey to Slave" which means that I have to connect blue to the motherboard, so when I am doing the same and connecting black to the IDE HDD then the system is booting up but then shuts down immediately and it is not even giving me a chance to go through the BIOS as well, I have tried using different IDE cable as well but then I am getting the same response, I have tried connecting blue to the motherboard and black to IDE HDD where as grey to DVD but then I am getting the same response, it is only booting up properly when I am connecting black to the motherboard. I also wanted to share that I have tried booting the system without the IDE Devices and just with the SATA HDD plugged but the system was not booting up and I was getting an error message saying "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected"

As you have solved your booting issue already then what other help you are looking for?? I mean that when you are connecting black to the motherboard then are you getting the errors that you have mentioned above or you are able to get rid of them?, you have not mentioned about the errors so I am still confused about your case?? As far as the errors are concerned I don’t think that they are related to your IDE Hard Disk but then I don’t know why are you getting the errors even after making it a primary IDE and using a different primary IDE as well, I just wanted to know that are you well aware of the Jumper settings for shifting between the Primary and Secondary??

I have solved out the booting issues somehow but then I am still getting those errors and I need help with the following issues:
    • I don’t know why the Atapi errors is showing up even when I am not having DVD plugged in
    • I have found that the system is just recognizing the DVD as Primary even after I have tried changing the grey /black connector, when I am unplugging the dvd then it is saying “no Primary IDE detected”
    • I wanted to know that how can I boot using sata hdd plugged??? I have tried using hitting the F8 on boot but then there I am just getting one boot device listed and that is SATA, currently the Boot sequence is set as SATA as that’s the only option that I am having
    • Lastly the main thing that I am more concerned about is the ATAPI errors which are just switching the PC to the PIO mode.

I am not that aware of the Jumper settings but then I don’t think I might have missed anything. Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

I think that you are not well aware of the Jumper settings, so if it is so then I will like to inform you that there is a small 3 or 5 pin slot on any IDE device and the same comes with a cap which are fitted to those pins and here the cap that you might be using will determine if the device is primary or secondary. As far as booting with SATA is concerned, I have found one mentioning that even he had similar case where he was not able to boot with SATA HDD was that he was having all the SATA drive as Logical, so later after reformatting the partition and making a fresh installation of operating system had helped him out in getting rid of the ATAPI errors, so just check out the same and see if you are having the same case or not. If yes then try out the same solution and it should help.