Thread: Facing constant pre-post boot cycle with Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2

Facing constant pre-post boot cycle with Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2

My system is having the following and the I don’t know why but then the motherboard that is Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 is running in to constant pre-post boot cycle and does not seems to be dead, I am really running out of ideas in getting it work properly,in my case the system is booting for 3-4 seconds and after that before shutting down it power on again and the same pattern goes in loop, I have found that during the booting the fans are working fine and I can even here the hd spinning I have checked out and found the DVD drive, fan controller and the m/b LEDs to be working, it is appearing to be working fine but then I am not able to get it out of the loop, I am not having any speaker I am not able to hear the POST beeps, Is there anything I can try out to get it working fine???
    • GA-P55M-UD2
    • Intel Core i5 CPU, stock HS and F
    • Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 700W PSU
    • G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
    • Asus GeForce 9400 GT 1024MB DDR2 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Re: Facing constant pre-post boot cycle with Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2

I just wanted to know that have you tested out the memory on some other machine? If not then check it out and other than this you can also try to disconnect everything I mean the hard drives, DVD drive fan controller, USB/Firewire/Audio headers etc if you are having and then try to start the system and see if it is booting up properly or not, also make sure that there is nothing wrong with the PSU, CPU/Heatsink and so, if the system is booting up fine after disconnecting all these then try to mount them one by one and see if they issue is getting solved or not, just try it out and then let me know the response that you get for the above possible solutions.

I have tried disconnecting harddrives, DVD drive fan controller, USB/Firewire/Audio headers etc and then booting the system but then it is still running in constant pre-post boot cycle, I don’t think that there is anything wrong with the memory in my case, I have tried fitting the rams in different slots and I have also tried using then one at a time but then they does not seems to be making any difference, I have checked out for the same in some other forums and I have found one mentioning he was having the same issue with the similar specification but then his issue was solved after getting a PSU that complies with ATX 12v version 2.3, I am not very sure about the same but then if he is right then my PSU is v2.2 and that can be the cause of the issue, what do you think about the same??

In that case I will suggest you to check out the cpu first and if you think that there is nothing wrong with the same under that clamp then there are possibilities that it is the psu that is causing the issue, as you have already tested out the memory, you might be having the same case as of that user, if you want then you can get the “CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply” from the new egg, you can go through the features below:
    • It Supports ATX12V v2.2 standard as well as ATX12V 2.01
    • It has a Ultra-quiet 140mm double ball-bearing fan which is capable of giving excellent airflow
    • It comes up with 99% Active Power Factor which will give a clean and reliable power to the system
    • It has a Universal AC input 90~264V for automatically scanning and detecting proper voltage
    • It has a Dedicated single +12V rail for giving maximum compatibility
    • It also comes up with Over Current/Voltage/Power Protection as well as Under Voltage Protection so as to provide maximum safety to the important components
    • It has a High quality Japanese capacitors and Extra long cables support as well.

I think that “CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply“ will be a better choice in your case, it is having almost the same feature as that of the one that has been mentioned above but then it is cheaper as compared to it. You can go through a short specification of the same:
    • Type:ATX12V / EPS12V
    • Maximum Power:650W
    • Fans:1 x Thermally controlled 120mm fan
    • PFC:Active
    • Main Connector:20+4Pin
    • +12V Rails: Single
    • PCI-Express Connector:2 x 6+2-Pin
    • SATA Power Connector:8
    • Input Voltage:90 - 264 V
    • Input Frequency Range:50/60 Hz
    • Input Current:9A
    • Output:+3.3V@24A, +5V@30A, +12V@52A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3.0A

I think that before getting another power supply you should better arrange a speaker and inspect the beep, I think that you would be a better idea but then make sure that you are disconnecting mouse, keyboard, video card, hard drive, RAM, etc and just leaving the CPU and CPU Fan untouched and then try to boot the system, also perform this workaround by taking out the motherboard from the case and keeping it on a cardboard or wood board for a better inspection. If you are able to get it booting without any issues then you can test out your ram, if there is something wrong with the same then you will get hear beep in some pattern, so if you get any beep then note down the pattern of it for further help, if you just get one beep then the system should boot up properly. I have found a no of people performing this solution incorrectly, I mean sometimes they leave the hard drive connected and sometimes the keyboard, so make sure that you are not doing the same, I doubt that there is something wrong with your ram but then perform the above test for confirming the same. Just try it out and then post back the result that you get.

I am not very sure about your case but then I was having similar issue with my system having Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 motherboard,
    Intel Core I5 860 CPU and GSkills 2 x 2GB RAM DDR3 1600mhz, I had tried out a number of trouble shooting and was not able to get it work but then later I found that it needed power to the 2x4 power connector and I had to use 2x2 12V supply or 2x4 12V supply. I had checked out the manual of the motherboard and had found this was optional but then without the 2x2 12V supply I was just getting power up, fans spin, CPU leds on and so on, just like what you have been facing, so just check it out and see if you are having a case similar to me or not. Hope that helps.

Even I have been facing loop of constant reboots with the below system, I don’t know what went wrong with the same as it was working fine by now, the issue started suddenly so I am clueless, i have tried disconnecting everything and then trying to boot the system but then I am getting the same response, I have tried out the disconnecting and connecting test several times and have tried seating the rams in different slots as well but then not matter what I am doing the issue is still the same, I thought that it is something with the psu but then I have tried using different psu’s for the same as well and even they are not helping the system in booting up properly. I have tried out all the possible solutions could have but then I have not got any luck, I am just not able to make out the cause of this, what do you think might be the cause of this issue?? Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.
    • Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
    • Intel Core i5-750
    • 500W OCZ ModXStream Pro
    • Patriot DDR3 Dual Chanel 2x2GB 1600 8-8-8-24 Viper II Sector5