Thread: PC is unstable due to 8GB Corsair RAM on Asus P8P67 WS Revo

PC is unstable due to 8GB Corsair RAM on Asus P8P67 WS Revo

Recently I have bought the Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 RAM from NewEgg. The model of this Desktop Memory is CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9. The motherboard I have is Asus P8P67 WS Revo. I have installed the memory on Dual channel. The system can POST properly and boot as usually but then during the normal usage, the system freezes randomly. I tried the voltage set to 1.65 as described in the ASUS manual. Then I removed the one DIMM's and system started running stable. However both RAM modules are file because I tried both in different system. I could not able to find the cause here.

Re: PC is unstable due to 8GB Corsair RAM on Asus P8P67 WS Revo

Did you configure the memory timings manually?

Did you made any voltage adjustment other than DRAM voltage?

It would be better if you take a screenshot of BIOS memory timings and post it here?

Do your memory modules pass the memtest? Check your memory modules using the Memtest. If your memory pass memtest then only you can move further for other testing but remember that your should always look for issues with the basic.

What slots are the modules in?

I had exactly the same problem with me. Solution was a BIOS update that I had sent to the ASUS support. But only because you still cannot download newer versions. Put on the latest BIOS and sometimes simply deleted after the CMOS. Another problem is that the ASUS BIOS has some trouble to read the settings of the memory automatically. As an additional tip here just set the time manually defaults.

I did the method clearRTC and since the computer starts properly with 3 modules to 1600Mhz, even cold boot. Here are step by step what I did:
    • update the bios to 1003 (with Asus windows update)
    • Turn off the Computer
    • Disconnect the power cord
    • Wait for few seconds and then move the jumper clearRTC position 1-2 to 2-3
    • Hold it there for 5 to 6 seconds until CMOS get reset.
    • Again put back the 1-2 as it was before.
    • Reconnect the power supply to the computer
    • Boot the system and enter into BIOS
    • Choose the profile for XMP memory.
    • Save and exit.

It is ultimately quite simple and yet effective

I have the Asus P8P67 B3 with your same memories (or almost I do not think of anything of what you get. It will not be incompatible with the RAM. Otherwise it is due to the issue of the CPU cache which is not capable to address the new memory module. Can you tell me what processor you are using? If you are still on low end processor then it might not be compatible to address the High end memory module.

The PC starts fine under XMP DDR3 1600MHz 9.9.9.24 Profile 1.65V. What I have done was, first go into the BIOS or UEFI, where do you go to "Advanced”. Now look for the entry "APM" and press Enter. There is an entry named "Power on by PCIE". Put as "enable", that is activated. Press F10, save and exit. Done! This bug will be fixed in the near future by ASUS.

For RAM, I used my Crucial Ballistix 2x2GB 12,800 that I had from my previous system. I spent the XMP profile but not to bother me and I have not had any problems. Except yesterday the computer was rebooted after a BSOD due to a RAM crash (error x0000007F). That said, 1600MHz, these strips have never worked well on my previous config. In short, given the price of RAM, I feels to outright buy a 2x4GB of another brand, probably those approves above or if I can find a ref available at a retailer and would benefit from the QVL ..

Quote Originally Posted by tHeDa! View Post
    Recently I have bought the Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 RAM from NewEgg. The model of this Desktop Memory is CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9. The motherboard I have is Asus P8P67 WS Revo. I have installed the memory on Dual channel. The system can POST properly and boot as usually but then during the normal usage, the system freezes randomly. I tried the voltage set to 1.65 as described in the ASUS manual. Then I removed the one DIMM's and system started running stable. However both RAM modules are file because I tried both in different system. I could not able to find the cause here.

Can you tell what OS you are running with your configuration? I have found that 32bit OS is not capable to address the 8GB RAM. They can address up to 4GB RAM only and properly. This is the case will all Windows Oss like Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. If you are running System above 4GB RAM, then it would be better if you switch to 64bit OS. Only they can address this much amount of memory.